www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Auger Choices?

Question Auger Choices?

This may shock a few individuals out there, but I'm looking at purchasing an ice auger. Never owned one besides the Armstrong hand augers. So there's gas augers, battery powered augers, and propane augers out there now a days. Which type of auger is the one to go with and why?

Surprisingly, I am not an expert on this anymore. I love the Jiffy 2 h.p. Stealth, but Tecumseh has not made their motors in a few years, and I have not heard anything good about the replacement motors.

I have not heard anything negative regarding the propane models.

There are also 4 stroke models to consider.

Most Strikemaster owners love the new Solo motor.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

I'm not an expert either. I have a 20 year old gas Strikemaster that still drills holes like mad. I would guess that most of the newer Ice augers will do a great job. I like a 10" hole, for trout and pike fishing, but that may not be necessary. If you are opening holes in a permanent house and you don't have lots of holes to drill an electric is pretty nice as you don't fill the house with gas fumes. Had a buddy that had one and it worked great.

Doug Johnson

I bought a new Strikemaster 4 stroke with a honda engine this year. Really like it, starts on 2nd pull. Runs smooth. Brother in law has a Jiffy propane, had a couple of issues with propane leaking out, but not all the time.

Nils make great augers, but you cant just go into any baitshop and get blades like Strikemaster.

Here is a vid of my Strikemaster Solo off Oak. That is with the 8 inch lazer blade. I have a seperate 10 inch chipper for opening old holes in my perm shack.

I like the Jiffy propane units, but have seen a few issues that would be show stopper on trips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLGPDQo74xQ