I am glad 2013 is over... lots of really good things happened in 2013, but it was also a year of much sadness.

2013 was likely the last year of seeing a few of those oldest and most cherished guests (in their mid 80's to mid 90's) as health is starting to fail some of them. We lost a former owner of Crawford's Resort Christine Jenkins who died in September. We lost Girlie who was our camp dog and enjoyed by many, in December. We are going to miss them for certain because all of them have had impact on us and our resort.

2013 was a successful year – resort was near full most of the summer months. We accomplished several projects – North and South Cabin porch & kitchen remodels. 10 more new beds and building new bed frames as we go. New energy star doors on cabins 12, 17 and 23. New lake side picture windows for cabins 12 and 23 ( we have the windows for cabins 21 and 22 – just not replaced yet). Upgraded campgrounds electric service. Lodge projects included new ping pong table and 4 new dinning room tables. Plenty of other projects also checked off from our “to do” list.

The Hunting was good for the very few who came to enjoy it. Guests filled limits by last day of trip with all being 8 point bucks. Deer populations in immediate area still are not yet recovering to the point of being easy.

The Fishing ranged from ok to really good most of the year. Lots of nice fish and some of the amazing fish.

Muskie action was strong on Kakagi (Crow) Lake most of the season. Our normal pattern for guests is, if struggling for Muskie on Kakagi, they fish Lake of the Woods and this past year very few guests visited Lake of the Woods looking for Muskies. Muskie had several of the 46”+ fish and biggest was a 49 1/2”.

Walleye action had a few lull periods especially for the bigger fish in Miles and Sabaskong Bay area's. From what I understand the big Walleyes moved in to those spots hungry and aggressive, late in the season (October). Cedartree Walleye action was steady and consistent with nice mix of size and decent catch rates. Many of the 6 – 8 pound Walleyes were caught by guests, but heard about some 10 pound Walleyes caught and released late... which is encouraging.

Lake Trout bites were the usual finicky at times with some major feeding frenzies in August and September. Many of the Lake Trout were looking very stocky in build which would seem consistent with the thought that Lake Trout bites have been tougher in recent years due to the quantity of available bait fish. Biggest Lake Trout caught was 17 pounds. For me, I like fishing on the toughest Lake Trout bites and having to work harder as it is my opportunity to learn new tricks and techniques for getting them to bite.... For guests, I would rather they were on an easy bite more for the time. I will share some tips for the Lake Trout with anyone wanting some help.

Bass action was good everywhere but the hot spot was certainly Jessie Lake with respectable size and easy catches. Some 4-6 pound Smallies were caught. Jessie bass seem to keep getting a little bigger each year. Cedartree Bass was not as solid as the past few years, but still some nice big Bass in Cedartree.

Crappie bites were good early and late season and looking like we should see good Crappies coming in the next few years.

Northern Pike bit everywhere most all of the year. Best summer and late season catch rates were from Whitefish Bay area on Lake of the Woods with a nice mix of size. Biggest Northern Pike were caught on Kakagi and Jessie Lake with several in the 42” to 46” range caught.

One of the best things about fishing was watching some who have struggled in recent years... work their way out of the slumps and have some really good periods of catching fish. Everything fishing related was encouraging.

Some of the most fun memories of 2013 didn't have anything to do with the fishing or hunting. It was watching kids laugh, smile and play around the resort and some of those kids were 70 somethings! Spending quality time listening to stories from people we don't spend enough time being around. Seeing people do things to be helpful for other people and watch friendships form.

We are getting excited for 2014 and our 8th season of running Boreal Bay Lodge.

We do have a new camp dog in training... Misty is our new Border Collie pup. Pictures and some video's are being put on our Facebook site. She is a cute smart pup who is eager to learn tasks and play games, she will be ready for starting her job in the spring.

Hoping all have enjoyed a Happy Holiday Season. Wishing good fortunes and great health to all for 2014. Looking forward to see many of you, soon!

This is a collection of photo's the girls put together. --- after the link loads press the play arrow at bottom left corner of picture.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Regards,