www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Lake St. Clair Casting Guide

Default Lake St. Clair Casting Guide

Do you guys have any recommendations for a guide on St. Clair that specializes in casting? Also, I will be throwing flies but I figure that doesn't have to be what they specialize in. My brother and I are thinkin of making a trip up there in the Spring, probably May or June, to see if we can't get into some of those toothy critters up there. Thanks.

Jay

Jay, On MUSKIEFIRST web site there is a recent topic that asked the same question and it was addressed very well alot of good information on this same topic.

Spencer Berman does lots of casting there and he will also be at the Muskie Max Show in case you want to meet him and discuss face to face.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Awesome!! Thanks guys, I will look into both.

I've fished the lake for at least a week every year since 2000. St Clair is over-rated. Not sure why you would want to go there. Season doesn't open until June, so May won't be an option for you. I would also wait until the first couple weeks of the season have passed before you go. Fish with someone that is licensed to guide in Canadian water...not sure how that works though. We got 5, 50"+ in my boat for our week this year. Our best in a week is 7 over 50", but it definitely isn't as easy as some people think. I know quite a few people who have gotten their butts handed to them up there. A good guide will have you on fish though. Have fun. Get a 50" on a fly.

Ivan,

Thanks for the additional information, thats great to know. I figured it could be tough sometimes with a lake that size and all the celebrity its gotten over the last few years. Figure it would be cool to get a couple days on that lake as the only places we've fished so far are NY and PA waters. And it sounds like that lake is generally fairly shallow, so that would benefit me with the flyrod.

Jay, Do not take this the wrong way, but you will need a bigger boat for that water, unless you have a different boat than the one I saw.

Mike

Mike,

You are absolutely right about that. On this trip, we are just planning to do a couple days with a guide and no fishing by ourselves. My brother does have a decent 20' that we may be able to get by with during good weather conditions. We'll have to plan that out for the next trip if we decide to go that route.

Jay

Good luck to you and your brother when you make the trip!

The 20' should work. I took my 18.5 last year at the same time as Frank, I learned my lesson how fast the lake can change on my very first night up there!

I have never met Spencer but have seen him casting on the lake several times while we've been trolling in the same area.
    The guy is there early and he stays a long time. That boat of 3 people were throwing the biggest Mag dawgs, Madusas, Moster tubes, all kinds of super big rubber lures and working the absolute crap out of them! From what I saw the guy works his butt off out there and he would be my choice before I ever even met him just by seeing his "work ethic" on the water.
    We were sweating like crazy sitting back under the top in the heat. I couldn't even imagine those guys chucking those big baits and working them like they were!
    I think he'd be a great choice, but I would want to meet him too. Since he is going to be right here to.

Thanks Mike. I'm actually havin a tough time deciding whether to set up a trip to St. Clair or one for Tarpon in the Florida Keys at this point. I just need to hit the lottery and be done with it. LOL

Frank,

What time of year were you up there when you saw them throwin the big baits? Just curious so I can figure out what size flies I should try tying also. I know that fish will hit the big stuff year round, but some of those things are just not fun to try and cast all day. LOL

Just a quick update. I got in contact with Spencer about a possible trip. He doesn't do Flyfishing on his boat, all conventional gear. That makes perfect sense to me and he offered to send me a recommendation for other options. Just wanted to throw that out there for any other fly guys who might be considering a trip to St. Clair.

And Frank, before you start telling me to put the flyrod away for a day or two and go on a trip, you have to realize that flyrodding is a way of life for me, and my chosen technique to chase these critters. For me, there ain't much that beats a fly in a Muskies teeth!!! LOL

They throw those pounders all year long up there. Funny...because trollers typically use smaller baits (5" to 7" baits) in the summer there. I guess the casters are tying to target bigger fish, but trollers catch their share of big fish too.

I saw on Spencer's FB page that he had to have hernia surgery recently due to casting pounders. Haha

Who did he recommend for fly fishing?

Don't forget about the hall of famer Bob Brunner. No fly fishing though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF6EJ...138300&index=4

Nope Jay.....just on the wintertime fishing would I try to sway you. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way the other day.
    You are willing to not fish rather than switching over to casting gear, I guess that truly shows how hardcore fly you are.
    I switch to spinning rods at times to keep that rod hand dry and not freeze to death.
    Summertime and St. Clair.............I am hoping you go there to try with fly. I can't wait to hear the results with the amount of fish out there.
    Shop around and talk to as many guides as you can so you get the right one for you and your plan of attack!

Good luck!!!

LOL I'm just joking about the flyfishing stuff Frank, I find it rather humorous. I know what you mean when you mention gettin out in the Winter. Problem with that for me is that Im too much of a fair weather fisherman nowadays. lol

Ivan,

He recommended Jason Cheney from the Michigan Musky Shop. I'll see what I can get set up from here.