I do not believe mortality is a factor at all, I firmly believe the amount of pressure on the NW Angle of LOTW over the past 10 years has severly affected the fish location more then anything. These fish are getting pounded week in week out with double tens all summer long especially in the milk runs off main channel areas. I think it's a combination of the pressure, cleaner water and lack of weeds that make the big girls feel uncomfortable hanging up shallow for longer periods of time then they used to. They certainly didnt leave the lake, I feel a very good portion of the big mammas no go basin for the summer just like many do on any other pressured water. They roam with the ciscoes and whitefish without ever getting bothered. I think the final frontier on the Woods is going to be open water fishing, there's certainly no shortage of water to cover but if one can find a fishable basin loaded with the motherload of baitfish I think some opportunities are certainly there to score on some crazy big fish. My 2 cents.

Mr Musky