www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Rain gear recommendation?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation

$449 for a rain jacket? That's crazy!

Summer - Mille Lacs; Winter - Clearwater, MN

I remembered another suggestion. The Bass Pro 100 mph Gore Tex rainwear is supposed to be good. I haven't used it but I've had a number of clients that were wearing it and they swore by it.
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

Web Site: http://www.enduroguideservice.com

Many brands (Cabelas, Scheels, Gander, Stearns) have "Water-Proof, Breathable" material and are lower cost than Gore-Tex. Does anyone here know if there's a difference between them, other than a big brand name and extra cost? Is there anything special about Gore-Tex?

I think Gore Tex is the only way to go. Without a test facility similar to what Consumer Reports would use I can't speak with actual test results, only my personal history. Over the years I've had waterproof, breathable gear from Columbia (Omni-Tech), Hodgeman (?), Cabelas (DriLite), and probably others I'm forgetting. All leaked within a couple seasons of use. The products I've had with real Gore Tex all performed well. Maybe Gore Tex is better. Maybe it's because Gore Tex is used on higher-end products that may have better design and better workmanship. I feel better buying Gore Tex after being disappointed by the others. My $0.02.
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

With the down-pour rains and wet condition this past week, I fielded a few questions about rain gear. This is a topic that seems to come up over and over again, so I thought I'd bump this post back to the top rather than compose a new one. Nothing has changed - I still LOVE my Simms jacket and my Cabelas Guidewear bibs are still bone dry too. Cabelas Guidewear is still recommended and the Gander H2O is still my recommendation in the lower price range. I strongly recommend a Simms jacket for anyone who can withstand the sticker shock. If Simms ever made bibs I'd buy a pair in a heartbeat. They'd probably be $300-400 just for the bibs, but I'd be the first in line to get a pair.
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

OK, either these reviews are starting to influence my thinking, or I'm tired of getting wet, or both. I'm finally giving up on my rain coat and getting a new one. I'm even thinking of biting the bullet and trying the Simms. There doesn't seem to be anyone that carries Simms gear and I'm not spending that much money by ordering on-line without looking it over and trying it on. Where can I find Simms products?

Get the Simms Guide Jacket and you won't regret it. I've had mine for years and years and years and it hasn't leaked a drop. Even with a zillion hours of use, my jacket still keeps me bone dry. Mine is hardly showing any signs of wear, even though it's worn 100+ days a year. There are plenty of trips where it rains all day long and I stay perfectly dry, often when clients are complaining about getting soggy. Sometimes worse than rain, running the tiller version of the Ranger 620, I get doused with water on rough boat rides or when driving through the rain. Those long boat rides are more of a soaker than just fishing in rain. If it's raining or rough, clients can turn around and hunker down to stay dry - I can't. When it's rough and we hit a wave at a funny angle, it sometimes feels like someone's throwing 5 gal. buckets of water at me. While driving the tiller, I can't turn to avoid the rain and waves, I have to face straight into it. Still, no matter the conditions, I stay dry. There's only two pictures of me on the website - at the left side of the Home Page, and on the 'About Your Guide' page. In both pictures I'm wearing the Simms Guide Jacket that I rave about so much.

The jacket is expensive, no doubt, but it's an investment that will keep you bone dry for years and years. As I've said before, I'd be the first in line to buy Simms bibs, if they ever made them, even if they cost $350-400 like the jackets.

Simms gear is available at the Fly Angler. Simms primarily designs for and markets to flyfisherman. The Fly Angler if Fridley is connected to Thorne Brothers - how perfect is that?
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel