Autumn is a wonderful time of year here in Wisconsin – hunting and fishing opportunities abound, and coupled with the fantastic scenery, a day in the outdoors is just made for memories. Anglers looking to cash in on some first-rate walleye fishing need embrace the aesthetics of the autumn in an effort and gear up for ol’ marble-eye; after all, walleyes in the fall can not only be plenteous and aggressive, but best of all – big!

Walleye fishing during October and even into November is a bit different than a good number of anglers are accustomed to. For starters, while live bait is still effective, there is definite call for using large crankbaits and plastics – simply put, the days of hauling micro jigs and big jugs of live bait to the boat are rapidly coming to a close.

Lure size, at least for anglers looking to score on the largest of specimens is increased from more traditional smaller minnow-style crankbaits to that of the largest models, even utilizing undersized musky style crankbaits. With the darker water of the Wisconsin River system, crankbaits producing strong vibration or having built in rattles can be deadly due to the added sound they produce. Some of my favorite crankbaits for targeting autumn walleyes in shallower water include Rapala’s Scatter Rap Minnow, Scatter Rap Shad and Flat Rap and the Storm Thunderstick; for fishing deeper water such as over rock humps or cribs, the Storm Smash Shad and Rapala’s Scatter Rap Countdown, Shad Rap, and Tail Dancer will all do the job.

With the colder water temperatures, typically work your lures with a medium to slow retrieve – the lure should be moving just fast enough to maintain its most advantageous action. Occasionally adding a twitch or rip followed but a slight pause is an excellent way to elicit strikes, especially from neutral or pressured fish or when faced with a cold front.

Jig heads tipped with bulky paddle tail trailers are also quite effective during this period. I will use paddle tails as large as 6” when fishing autumn walleyes, with the Mister Twister Sassy Shad being my weapon of choice. With the darker water of the Wisconsin River system I like the chartreuse flake and chartreuse pearl patterns for fishing during the day while the white pearl/black back is my first choice when fishing at night. The added bulk not only helps create extra vibration, but is adds a superior big fish attracting silhouette as well. An undemanding cast and straight retrieve seems to produce best when working these large jig presentations with the lure swimming just fast enough to occasionally tick the bottom. The jig and paddle tail combination is a “go to” option for days when the crankbait bite is off and the action seems to have slowed.

All too often I feel we overlook the importance of being properly prepared when chasing trophy walleyes. An array of pliers, hook-outs, and forceps are a must, as is a jaw spreader for retrieving deeply inhaled lures. Quality nets such as the Conservation Series from Frabill, featuring flat linear bottoms, tangle free coating, and a 100% knotless mesh are indispensible tools for successfully landing and subsequently releasing monster ‘eyes during the open water months.

From the Merrill dam all the way South to Stevens Point fishermen looking to cash in on the fall bonanza can find quality angling opportunities. One of the great things about fall walleye fishing is not only the adrenalin rush of hooking into a potential monster walleye, but the fact that very few people are out doing it; the peace and serenity of fishing on waters now void of recreational traffic is good not only for the mind but the soul. Enjoy the bounty of the Northwood’s amidst the vibrant fall foliage – I’ll see you on the water…

Tight lines,