www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fall Muskies

Cool Fall Muskies

Herbie,
    Are you ready for the big push to wrap things up on the Musky Hunting front? Would love to join you for the October Musky Hunts. Not sure it is going to work out this year. Any predictions on the 60incher that I have been waiting on? Are the water temps dropping and has the Sucker bite truned on yet? Turnover starting to happen? I gotta believe the 60incher will fall off of Colemans reef and I know just the guy who is going to get-r-done.

Cheers,
    Musky John

the fall hunt is in full swing! water temps mid 50's,lake is fully turned,muskies moving on cranks,blades,rubber,livebait,trolling,etc.
    all sections of the lake seem to be about equal as far as action,one section one day might be a bit hotter due to prevailing winds and weather etc but i haven't left the bay for 2 weeks,17 fish 5 over 50 with 2 days off.
    big bass all over the humps 12-20,walleyes main basin 35-40' but also a deep grass bite going 12-18'especially in the pm.
    big pike starting to move shallow onto mainlake points and bars.
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Web Site: http://www.andymyerslodge.com

Herbie,
    Have you buttoned up the 2013 fishing season? If not any Muskies still being caught? We had quick cold fall so far so I expect things to be pretty chilly further North. I'm still holding hope for one or two more chances down here to do some sucker fishing. Give us the highlights of the year once you wrap up.

Cheers,
    John

John,
    I got up to AML for some of the last of the fall fishing last week. It was just me and Herbie at camp, with Julian bringing us food in the mornings and chatting evenings when he could make it between kid's hockey and preparation for the upcoming deer hunt. The weather was challenging, but good for fishing if you had the right gear. It was in the 20s at night and about freezing during the day, often with snow squalls and high winds. Fortunately for me, Herbie was handling the boat, so I was where I needed to be on every spot, even when we had big rollers with whitecaps. The first day we took a chance on favorable winds and went east to Coleman's. At moonset I raised three different fish on Heiting's and we boated a fat 48 incher. It then shut down hard for the day and we fished all that beautiful structure without seeing any more fish. The next day, big winds and snow made it clear that we were fishing close to home and that turned out to be the right choice. On one pass through Strawberry I got two low 40s fish before we moved over to a little bar in VB that produced a 47, 50 and 53. We kept starting the structure over after each fish and then getting another, bigger one. The big girl was a brute, with rolls of fat, and boating her in big wind had us high as kites. We moved back to Strawberry and I got another 50 that ate a jointed perch Depth Raider. I told Herbie I was hooked up and he said, "Any size?" and I was completely delighted when the fish came up and I could say, "Yep, looks like another big one." That day was probably the best of my musky fishing life so far. The next day seemed tough by comparison, but I raised a good fish that just showed her tail at boatside and Herbie kept us on the spot until she ate a sucker. It was another 50 off Strawberry. I got two more that day, including another one that ate the Depth Raider. At that point we were basically out of suckers and the suppliers couldn't fly out to get more due to the tough winds and snow, so we went for a home run the fourth day, trolling all around Portage with big Jakes. I got a nice pike, but that was the only fish we saw that day. The fifth day was more of the same weather, but with good suckers again. I got two mid-40s fish and caught a gorgeous, big lake trout all in spawning colors that ate a Triple-D out in Bear Narrows. The last day, the wind went up to 50 and the waves were downright dangerous. With the wind chill, reels began to freeze and the deck was getting icy. Somehow, Herbie handled the boat perfectly and I got a small fish at boatside on Musky Point to cap off a tremendous trip. Most of the action was on suckers, so it was a tremendous advantage to be with the foremost practitioner of that art. It was very wild and beautiful, there was almost nobody else around, and Cabin #2 is luxury accommodations when it gets cold out. Herbie, I will always remember the flight of swans we saw over Heiting's, the burned pizza for supper and the steak on the lake the next day, and the way we felt as the fish count was climbing to six on that magic day in Vermilion Bay. Thanks for everything.
    Bill

Herbie,
    Well had one last trip this season. Hired local guide who has a great reputation for being on the Fall Musky bite. None of buddies could join me so I went solo. Essentially, had the guide and the lake to myself. Well I had a day to remember. Not sure I will ever be able to top it numbers wise. I ended up with catching and releasing 5 Muskies. No Eagle Lake giants but five Muskies up 45 inches (45, 43, 38, 36, 35)... Was priceless... All on meat. I know I should end the season on a high note; However, as always I got the fever going. I will try to get out again by myself and I suspect will not have the luck I had with my Guide but that is part of the learning process. I can't say enough about the guide I think he is half Musky like yourself... Not sure how he gets so dialed in. Here is to next season at Eagle Lake chasing the 60 incher.... and trying to top 5 Muskies in one day.

Cheers,
    Musky John