www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Temp?

Default Temp?

I know the thread below this one was updated with the same question, but I'm hoping a new thread may get a quicker answer. Anyone know the surface temp? Better, anyone put a probe in the water and know what it's like 5' and 10'?

Before Labor Day I had been bass fishing and crappie fishing with some regular frequency (both have been good for me this summer). As was noted, water temps had fallen below the 80 degree mark, but also as we've discussed in the past 80 degrees isn't really a magic mark on Kinkaid after it's been way above that all summer long. As some guys can explain better, when the whole water coloumn gets seruiously warm there just isn't a sufficient thermal refuge for our fish to recover after a release. In other words, the chances of delayed mortality in warm water is significantly higher. Having grown accustom to a whole lot of fish per acre, we ought to take care of what we have after high water years, like last Spring.

So, especially for guys in the "know," where are we at?

Like everyone else I'm getting ansy. Unfortuantely, I'm guessing with the warm sunshine things haven't cooled much in the 10-12 days it's been since I've been on the water. I target generally very different water for bass in the Fall compared to muskie. But I've seen very little muskie activity. However, the schools of shad are really starting to tighten up and get busted mornings and evenings. Again, from my observation most of that has been lg. bass, white bass, and crappie activity. Can't wait to start hearing and seeing the serious smack-downs!

I'll post temps on Tuesday.

As soon as the Fall season gets underway...like most I get a little too lazy to post much...so in advance: good luck guys/gals have a great Fall season once we safely get underway...

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye9 View Post
    Anyone know the surface temp? Better, anyone put a probe in the water and know what it's like 5' and 10'?
    I was fishing on Kinkaid Sunday evening from 3:15 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. bass fishing. Surface temperatures for the water were 84-85. I do not have a probe so I don't know the temperature below the surface. Bass bite was decent, but I am ready to knock the dust off the muskie gear. Going to be a hot week in Southern Illinois this week with air temperatures predicted to be in the mid-90's. Need some cool nights to bring the water temperatures back down.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye9 View Post
    I know the thread below this one was updated with the same question, but I'm hoping a new thread may get a quicker answer. Anyone know the surface temp? Better, anyone put a probe in the water and know what it's like 5' and 10'?

Before Labor Day I had been bass fishing and crappie fishing with some regular frequency (both have been good for me this summer). As was noted, water temps had fallen below the 80 degree mark, but also as we've discussed in the past 80 degrees isn't really a magic mark on Kinkaid after it's been way above that all summer long. As some guys can explain better, when the whole water coloumn gets seruiously warm there just isn't a sufficient thermal refuge for our fish to recover after a release. In other words, the chances of delayed mortality in warm water is significantly higher. Having grown accustom to a whole lot of fish per acre, we ought to take care of what we have after high water years, like last Spring.

So, especially for guys in the "know," where are we at?

Like everyone else I'm getting ansy. Unfortuantely, I'm guessing with the warm sunshine things haven't cooled much in the 10-12 days it's been since I've been on the water. I target generally very different water for bass in the Fall compared to muskie. But I've seen very little muskie activity. However, the schools of shad are really starting to tighten up and get busted mornings and evenings. Again, from my observation most of that has been lg. bass, white bass, and crappie activity. Can't wait to start hearing and seeing the serious smack-downs!

I'll post temps on Tuesday.

As soon as the Fall season gets underway...like most I get a little too lazy to post much...so in advance: good luck guys/gals have a great Fall season once we safely get underway...
    I fished the morning, and the temperature at the surface was 81-82. My transducer got knocked off by 10:00 am, so I didn't get a read after that. It probably heated up in the afternoon on the surface. My guess is that it will warm up a bit more with the hot temps expected in the first part of this week, but with the big cool down coming late in the week (one night even getting to 49 degrees), I think we are likely a week away from sustained sub 80's. Let us know what you see on Tuesday.

85 degrees saturday evening. I went for a swim and the water was about the same temp 5-6 feet down.