www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Getting on plane.

Question Getting on plane.

I have a 60 Merc for a 16 ft Lund. All is well when it is wife and myself. When I have 3 adults there is "some" struggle to plane but not bad. However, with 4 adults it takes quite a bit to get up out of the hole and level off. Of course a bigger engine can solve this but is there anything I can do to help out the 60? Maybe go to 4 blade prop? One of those plates? This is only an issue when the family is together and everyone wants a boat ride. We do a little pulling of a float but then I need the smallest adult to go with me to get on plane. Probably should of gotten a 75 or 90. Thanks for any input.

Lower the pitch of your prop to get more power on take off. If you're currently using a 19 pitch try a 17 or 15. In theory you'll be able to get up on plane better but will lose some high end speed. Watch your tac though, if your max RPM is 5000 make sure the lower pitch prop doesn't take you above that max. First though make sure your motor is tilted all the way down when taking off, once on plane trim the motor up for maximum speed at lowest RPM. I've seen a lot of people lower the motor down all the way and never trim it up. A four blade should help also, stainless is supposed to be better but if you thump a rock you've got a better chance of damaging the lower unit (then with an aluminum prop). A 60 probably is a bit underpowered with a lot of weight. I've got a 115 on my 16'9" PolarKraft which is overkill, but need it with three divers and all their gear on board. By myself though it just sucks more gas...Rick

Thanks, I will look into a change in pitch. I am unsure what it is right now. Whatever Mercury put on as standard. I should also say this is a 4 stroke if that means anything. I don't travel at high speed when alone or with wife, just go from one fish spot to another on local chain. Once on plane I normally back off a bit to save on gas. I had thought the same thing about a stainless prop, I'd rather it 'give' than mess up the low unit. Maybe just change the prop when the clan gathers for rides.