www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 8/24/2013 Fished Last Week

Default 8/24/2013 Fished Last Week

8/24/2013 Fished Last Week week on Gogebic. Lots of small eyes, a few keepers and one decent 24"eye too. Also caught some big perch, a few pike (two legal keepers but mostly small) and a few small bass while trolling.

Trolled between 0.8 and 1.4 mph all over the lake. Covered water from 20' to 30' at times; best spot was a troll from just south of the state park across the lake to the north east then up the east side in around 25-27 fow. Trolled crawler harnesses (color didn't seem to matter) with bottom bouncers and keel weights anywhere from 20-45 feet back with inline boards. Some suspended fish, but most on the bottom.

Fished perch one day (jigging) and did OK. Kept 30 between 8" and 11" (no really big ones). Also kept 11 fat sunfish.

Just found this site. Hope others start using it. Will be back in the winter for some Ice Fishing if able.

Thanks for visiting Outdoor 911.
    Trolling the deep water for walleyes has been pretty tough the last month or so. Have been doing a lot more rigging that anything else with some success. While rigging I have been working deeper water in that 22 - 24' of water. Using the slow death rig, and lindy rigs, has been a fun change with a lot of activity catching just about every type of fish that swims in Lake Gogebic. Probably the most productive way way to catch my keeper walleyes has been slip bobber fishing in the weeds.
    Tim Long
    The Timbers Resort &
    Eyes Guy Fishing Guide Service
    P.O. Box 278
    HWY M-28
    Bergland, MI 49910
    Phone: 906-575-3542
    E-mail: thetimbersresort@sbcglobal.net
    Web Site: www.thetimbersresort.com
    Web Site: www.eyes-guy.com

How do fish walleye with a slip bobber? Also, what is a slow death rig?

Can pictures be posted on this site?

Thanks Tim.

Lund-ker,

If you go to our resort website www.thetimbersresort.com I have a video that show you how to set up a slip bobber rig.

The slow death rig that I refer to is actually a hook called slow death. The hook has a funny bend to it which gives your crawler an erratic action while trolled slowly.
    What you do is feed a small crawler onto the hook all the way up and over the knot, pull the crawler down over the barb end of the hook leaving only about 3/4 of inch trailing behind. I am typically trolling from my bow of the boat at slow speed under 1 mph.

I find it to be a very fun and productive way to fish. give it a try and let me know what you think.

Thanks for visiting us at outdoor 911.

Tim Long
    Tim Long
    The Timbers Resort &
    Eyes Guy Fishing Guide Service
    P.O. Box 278
    HWY M-28
    Bergland, MI 49910
    Phone: 906-575-3542
    E-mail: thetimbersresort@sbcglobal.net
    Web Site: www.thetimbersresort.com
    Web Site: www.eyes-guy.com