www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Bassin'

Default Bassin'

Been smacking some nice smallies the past few trips and after a 10-day 'musky-break' I will be back hunting some Esox on Wednesday and Thursday. Hopefully, the bite has picked back up along with these warming water temps.

Stay tuned.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by Red Childress View Post
    Been smacking some nice smallies the past few trips and after a 10-day 'musky-break' I will be back hunting some Esox on Wednesday and Thursday. Hopefully, the bite has picked back up along with these warming water temps.

Stay tuned.
    I haven't been fishing lately, but back in the spring & early summer I mixed a lot more smallmouth fishing in with muskie fishing. Instead of jetting through unproductive holes, I would drift through and fish for smallies. My hours/catch for muskies fell substantially from previous years. I think it's because I wasn't fatigued as much when it mattered... Or maybe it was just coincidence who knows.

I guess you don't have that luxury with clients that want a picture with a big toothy critter!

Still been chasing bass the past couple of weeks and now that school has started, I will be back on the "weekend warrior" schedule for the next 10 months. With the water levels increasing, water temps and photoperiod decreasing, the Esox should be getting ready to chow down......Let's hope!!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Did 2 straight days of Bassin' over the weekend with 2 guys who love to come up here and catch high numbers of smalies. This past weekend was no exception as we hammered them pretty well. Back on the muskies this upcoming weekend.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Quote Originally Posted by Red Childress View Post
    Did 2 straight days of Bassin' over the weekend with 2 guys who love to come up here and catch high numbers of smalies. This past weekend was no exception as we hammered them pretty well. Back on the muskies this upcoming weekend.
    I helped stock the Yough last Thursday. I got out on the water 2 hours before the truck arrived and went to the best spot that I planned on placing fingerlings. I caught 12 smallies and 1 largemouth and put them in my livewell (no lectures please). I took them 3 miles downstream and released them in a good smallie hole. I'm sure others moved in quickly, but I had 2 hours to burn so I figured WTH.

Out of the 12 smallies, only 1 was caught in shallow, slack water. The other 11 were all caught in deeper current 4-8' deep. That's a definite shift from 3 weeks ago when I was catching them all in shallow current. In that time the avg. water temps only dropped a few degrees, so photoperiod must also be another factor in their movements.

After stocking I got 2 hours of Esox fishing in before the storms rolled through. Lost a decent tiger at the boat and landed a nice pike. They were definitely getting in the mood before the cold front comes through tomorrow. Hopefully that doesn't shut them down for long.

Here are a couple of pics of the largest smallie we caught last weekend. After about 12 backflips, she finally made it to the net.

Attachment 21305Attachment 21306
    Last edited by Red Childress; 10-24-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Crank baits? I love catching smallmouths Nice jumps and pull pretty hard. Nice watching them go back down on the release.

Yea, that particular fish ate a crankbait. We have been pitching hair jigs/Storm crayfish in a few areas for the larger bass as well.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress