www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Taking the Fly Tying Plunge

Default Taking the Fly Tying Plunge

Well, I finally broke down and ordered some gear and materials to start tying my own Musky flies. Since its been about 20yrs since I tied my last trout fly, I was wondering if you fly guys out there might have any advice as to specific techniques that will help with this endeavor. I've found quite a few videos and "How To" web sites but even just basic stuff would be a big help at this point. I remember how awesome it was to catch my first trout on a fly that I tied, and cannot wait to do that with some toothy critters.

Jay

It's like riding a bike..you'll step right back in, I also broke the fly tying & jig making stuff out of storage this summer after a 30+ yr. hiatus. Only difference is the dang fat fingers don't operate like they once did

LOL I'm sure I'll run into similar issues. The interesting part for me is that I've never really tied much in terms of streamer type patterns at all. I was all about the small (16-22) size dry flies. Its gonna be a good time learning and I'm pretty happy about all the videos that people have posted of the fly tying. Those are gonna be VERY helpful.

Use Kevlar thread. I've actually been tying with size D rod wrapping thread lately.
    Reverse tie deer fur and leave the tag ends when you push the fur back. That's a big part of the "Hang-time" fly and adds significant bulk.
    Look for the Vermont Fly Guys on facebook. They have pictures of tons of neat patterns.
    Buy stock in the company that makes flash-a-bou. I use entire packs on some flies.....
    I like to use salt water hooks.
    Make sure the big hooks fit into your vice. I use a cheap AA vice.

Have fun!

Awesome man, thanks for the info/advice.

Yep, I'm with ya on Vermont Fly guys. Have been using some flies from them the last couple of seasons. They do some great patterns. I ordered some of my materials from The Flyfishers website. One of the cool things that they do is sell kits that include all the materials to tie some of their patterns. It just so happens that they have a couple Muskie patterns that I thought look damn good so I got em to get me start. I'm psyched!!