Hi Folks – I have not seen any big mayfly hatches yet, but they are very close now. I have noticed a few on the surface of some lakes and I can see them coming up on the graph. We are at a day-by-day scenario when it comes to fishing WALLEYES. We are finding most of our walleyes in shallow wood and new weed around 4 to 7 feet. When you combine the two, it is usually a very good spot to be. Surprisingly, minnows have been working well; fish were taking medium redtails but this past week large fatheads were working the best. Leeches have been the next best bait -- these are working especially well on lakes. It has been a tough crawler bite so far.
MUSKY activity is just getting better and better. Between the warming water temps and unstable air masses, muskies seem to be on the prod. We have seen some nice fish lately and have caught some decent mid-sized fish. They are chasing just about anything in the box but minnow lures are best. Cranes and flat Raps have been deadly. Surface lures are another good option as of late. The still weather has made for ideal top-water use. New green weeds are the top spots to get started. Search these from shallow out as deep as you can find them. Do not overlook gravel bars as you move around. We have seen some of our best fish in these areas.
BLUEGILLS are in and very aggressive. Now is the time to find some good gill fishing. Look for them in shallow shorelines and reeds. Bobber, hook and worms work well and can provide families with good action for the young fisherman as well as a tasty fish fry.
LARGEMOUTH BASS have been very good in the green weeds. Large to Jumbo leeches have been deadly, but minnows and lures will work also. Weeds found in 6 to 8 feet have been holding fish.
That’s it for now – catch you on the lakes.
Jeff

Attachment 20237Attachment 20238