www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Sink Tip Flyline for Musky

Default Sink Tip Flyline for Musky

Wow, its been VERY quiet around here this year. Hopefully that means everyone is too busy netting toothy critters.

Just wanted to post about the RIO Stiped Bass Sink tip flyline I have been using this year. It has been extremely impressive. I ended up going with a 400gr to help get some of these bulky flies deep relatively fast. It does that with ease. I find that I can still use it for most shallow situations too as long as I start to strip as soon as the fly hits the water.

The ease of casting this stuff is incredible. I mean, it just wants to fly thru the guides. I've never been the greatest caster in terms of distance, but I'd really like to see just how far I can get this stuff out there one of these days.

So far, I've just been switching back and forth between this stuff and an intermediate line. At least 90% of my fish so far this year have come on the sink tip line. Yes, I've been using it a bit more to make sure I get the feel for it, but it really helps to be able to reach more parts of the water column.

My only issue I've had so far is that once this line gets dry on the boat deck, it loves to twist up on itself. I'm sure that the fact that I am casting flies the size of small chickens through the air has something to do with the twisting, but none of the other flylines have done it to this degree. I'm trying to figure out if I can change anything in my leader setup that might help with this.

Overall, I think this stuff ROCKS!! I may soon be setting up another reel with this line to have another pattern ready to go at anytime. So, anyone out there that might be lookin for a sinking line should definitely at least consider the RIO line. Good stuff.

Jay

I haven't tried the fly rod yet Jay. Still trying to catch 'em on traditional

I do have some friends that caught the fly bug and I'll pass this along to them. Good luck.

Great info, Jay. My fly guys begin coming in next month so you have just given me some info to pass along to them in case they do not know anything about the ROI line.

I use the Orvis Depthcharge line but have not tried anything else so I have nothing to compare.

I had a cancellation this morning so this is the first day I have had off since NY schools dismissed last week. We have been moving and catching some nice fish over the past 2 weeks. Big bass and a few very nice walleye, pike and musky. Largest musky still stands at 46". I have been super busy with guiding plus all-star softball and soccer camps.......maybe I will start up a taxi service next year along with my guide service since I am getting so much practice hauling my own kids around.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Cool. I'm sure most people out there already have their preferences for certain flylines. The RIO is only the 2nd sinking line I have tried so far and it is soo much better than the last its not even funny. I believe the other brand I tried was Cortland a few years back. Could be that my casting skills were just horrible with these 9 and 10wts too, who knows.

One of my best days this year was a day that had constant 15-20mph winds. The fish were active big time and I don't think I could have casted all day in the wind without this sinking tip line. It just cut right through the wind. Got some fish in the net, but also lost a few due to the fact that it was very difficult stripping fast enough to try and keep slack out of the line. Had one on for about 30 seconds that I could barely move with a 10wt. Next thing you know, the fly came shooting right back at me. I'm gonna be having nightmares about that one for a while. LOL

Good luck to everyone. Hopin the Summer heat isn't too brutal and the fish stay active.

I wish I could help you with the twisting issue you've had Jay, but I've had a similar experience with the sinking lines. I got a good one from Sierra Trading Post in April, Airflo Depthfinder Quick Max 475 Gr and have had a great time with the fly rod this year. Lots of action and a few good muskies.

TRE,

I guess it might just be the nature of the beast with some of those style lines. As long as I keep it wet, I'm usually good to go. I started using the Invisa Swivel last year and it helps a lot with the line twist from casting. Plus it makes the leader connections a lot easier. I'm a big fan of the Airflo products. Thats what I use as my intermediate lines. I might have to check out their sinking lines in the future.

Glad to hear that you are getting good action with the fly. Sounds like we are both finding some fish. I'm hopin the whole year stays like this, but we know how that can go. LOL I've had tremendous luck/action on a Red/White pattern this year. The Musky have been crushing it and it also landed my PB pike on the fly (35"). Unfortunately, it met its end a couple weekends back and I have 2 more on order. Sad part is, the mortal damage was not done by the fish, but happened during hook removal. Oh well, just curious to see if that color rocks all year.

That's funny Jay. I've had most of my fish come off a pattern that was 2 completely different colors as well. I think the contrast is the ticket for flies. I believe the wet cool summer are better for fish catching. Unfortunately, when you want to get on moving water, it's a different story.

Yep, red/white has had the most action with a firetiger pattern as the 2nd. I've also had some action on a red/yellow and some interest in a blue/purple. Now I just wish this rain would settle down or I might not be gettin back on the water for quite a while.