www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Just Got back with Walleyes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Walker has changed a fair piece mostly because of the resort business has changed. I have heard that there used to be over 150 fishing resorts on Leech back in the 50's and 60's. I suppose only two dozen or so exist today. Walker still is a nice town, just much less turnover of customers. I too have many fond memories of viewing the frozen trophy catches in Johnson's window, Pow Wow's at the museum, and buying cheap trinkets at the corner store(kitty corner from Johnson's) that had the statue of the old man smoking a corn cob pipe on the bench out front.

Your post about the old Stony Point Resort caught my eye.

I remember your Grandfather and may have even fished with him a time or two and recall how he used the smoker to fix northerns for the weekly pot luck.

My last time at Leech a few years ago. The fishing was ok but nothing exceptional. I go back just for the sake of the memory of fishing with my own Grandparents.

My wife and I go to Canada these days and have found very good fishing there. On our trip this Spring we got a 29 and 28 and two or three 27's. Our guide caught a 31.

Take care.
    Bob