www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Mayflies

Default Mayflies

Spent a few hours on the south end yesterday and found a big mayfly hatch going on in the Rat Lake area, so they have started my friends. Good luck to all during the hatch, could be a real big one this year, fun, fun, fun. No eyes there yesterday, but we did find some real nice ones in 12 to 15 feet over muddy bottom, tummies full of mayflies.

Don's Guide Service
    dpemble@centurytel.net
    Don Pemble

We have a cabin at Joe Millers June 22-30 first time on TFF. I know the mayfly hatch is significant for walleye fishermen, but no quite sure how to fish it? I know you are a guide and not asking for you to give up your hard earned spots, any pointers you would give a first timer on TFF who gets there during the mayfly hatch, general areas, depths, fishing methods, cover? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Bob

bobfisher,
    if you are going to be up for 8 days I would pony up and hire Don for a day. not much to hit in Bastine but the knowledge you would glean is well worth the money. you would have spots to hit the entire trip then with a good chance of boating fish. the walleye out of the flowage taste outstanding.

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Actually, there is some great fishing in the Lake Bastine area. Just go south of Joe Miller's along that shoreline with size #7 or #9 rappalas in gold or perch colors and have a ball with the small mouth bass, along with occasional musky.

Go straight across from Joe Miller's with your locator and find former guide Emil Seiverts (RIP) cribs that still hold nice perch, crappies and walleyes.

The DNR, in cooperation with the Turtle Flambeau Flowage/Trude Lake Propery Owners Association and Turtle-Flambeu Flowage Association, planted about 30 cribs in the Lake Bastine basin 1.5 years ago that should now start to produce some really nice fish.

Unfortunately, I must concur with Don Pemble about the mayfly hatch. It has started in the Lake Bastine area as well Small mouth bass can still be caught in the shallows on their beds. Our guests last week enjoyed fighting over 70 of them in a day, with a few in the 20" class. Walleyes will be more difficult, but not impossible. Use a black jig tipped with a 2" part of crawler or leech worked very slowly over the mud flat areas. This imitates the emerging mayfly (ephemerata) larvae that they crave.

The Turtle Flambeau Flowage is Wisconsin's Scenic Wilderness Waters Area. For info on lodging, food and guides, see www.turtleflambeuflowage.com and order a free TFF map with all this information and free campsite locations.

Years ago Grandpa Joe Miller ( We called him grandpa out of respect ) mentioned that a barge sunk in the middle of Lake Bastine . One of the resort owners (?) were moving something across the lake and it sunk . I never found it on my dept finder . I wonder if this is the same - " Go straight across from Joe Miller's with your locator and find former guide Emil Seiverts (RIP) cribs that still hold nice perch, crappies and walleyes. " ?

Also, in between the Island ( West side ) and Shore line used to be decent fishing near Lake Bastine , not far to go . We do mark allot of fish in lake Bastine but very few fish it .

Bobfisher - enjoy your stay at the Flowage and at Millers , great people , have been there since the beginning .

How long do the MayFlies Last?

Smile Mayflies

Quote Originally Posted by bobfisher1017 View Post
    We have a cabin at Joe Millers June 22-30 first time on TFF. I know the mayfly hatch is significant for walleye fishermen, but no quite sure how to fish it? I know you are a guide and not asking for you to give up your hard earned spots, any pointers you would give a first timer on TFF who gets there during the mayfly hatch, general areas, depths, fishing methods, cover? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Bob
    I would hire Don Pemble and he will offer you a wealth of information. The Mayflies are tough to deal with , even with a guide. The hatch has now started and is over a week along spreading through out the flowage. Good Luck you will need it. Just really tough till they are gone for a few days .

Smile Go Fishing with the May flies

Quote Originally Posted by George G View Post
    I would hire Don Pemble and he will offer you a wealth of information. The Mayflies are tough to deal with , even with a guide. The hatch has now started and is over a week along spreading through out the flowage. Good Luck you will need it. Just really tough till they are gone for a few days .
    After all the contemplation and discussion, GO FISHING ANYWAYS, STOP in at Camp 1, Donners Bay, and of course enjoy the great food and drink at the Midway. All great people to have conversation and good times with. Good luck

Bob,

I really don't fish for eyes any special way during the hatch, I use my every day methods of of pounding the shore lines with the most wood and weeds, also work shallow and deep mud areas. My favorite bait of choice during the hatch is an orange or yellow jig tipped with 1/2 crawler, small 2 inch brownish orange twister tails works very well also.
    Don Pemble