Just got back from Eagle lake, fished out of Northshore Lodge on our annual spring trip. First day conditions were post front and the water temp went from low to mid 60's to mid to upper 40's. Late ice out (mid may)has placed fishing well behind the last few years from a location and seasonal standpoint. There was no new weed growth any where to be found. We started fishing Walleyes on Sunday but found that bite sparse at best. We swithed to casting last years cover and found great success with Pike and Smallmouth. The early part of the week was about finding warmer water for walleyes and jigging any avialable cover in primary spawning bays in 3' to 10'. Full disclosure as we spent very little time this week chasing walleyes, but some parties did well in camp fishing the newly opened sanctuary areas. The late ice out and colder front moving in provided us a golden opportunity for old time Canadian Pike fishing. If you have read my posts from the last few years you know I have been bemoning the fact that the bigger pike have been out of the extreme shallows by the time of our arrival. We found steady action in 1' to 4' of water the entire week and easily boated 125+ pike from 30" to 40". We casted original chatter baits with trailers in the heaviest cover we could find.On baitcasters spooled with heavy braid we ran these baits just under the surface and had fish blowing up on them all week long, what a blast this was for me and my son who put his dad to shame this week and took the three largest pike we caught all week, the real key was to ensure you got into the slop, you could not be fishing too shallow or in too much junk this week. As noted above smallmouth were also extremly active and willing with both males and females on the bite for most of the week. Early week found these fish on black streaks near weed rock combo's, mid week found most males cruising and the action slowed torward week end as they got closer to the spawn with the once again rising water temps. We boated 50+ smallmouth from 16" to 20". Using chatter baits once again we slow rolled the adjacent cover for the larger fish and fan casted open areas and rock points for the cruising males. The weather was excellent all week with minimal wind and lot's of sunshine. On the last day Friday while casting for Northerns we could see the walleyes moving into the shallows in good numbers so with stable weather and slightly warmer nights coming the next few weeks should be dynamic. We also incidentally hooked and water released three Muskies which were all smallish males and had quite a few larger females follow. These fish appeared to be in recovery mode from the spawn as most the them sported some kind of mating scar. My guess is the opener this year will be very good and the first week or two exceptional. All in all a great week of fishing with a great group of guys in camp. Thanks as always to Mark and Brenda our hosts as they do a great job making you feel at home. A big welcome to the new dock hand Jason who did a great job in his first week, his enthusiasm for the job makes him a winner in my book. Also thanks to Ashley who's service at dinner and at the bar was second to none. Eagle lake has many faces and is a very unique fishery but it never dissapoints and it certainly did not this year. If you are on the fence about taking a trip up north I would say just do it, you won't be sorry.