www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky Spawn

Cool Musky Spawn

Hey Herbie,

My crew and I will be fishing Eagle Lake starting June 22 for several days. I have been checking your updates and despite the late ice out, I guess late compared to the last 2 years, I am pleased to read that the water temps have quickly risen into the upper 50's and that muskies have been seen swimming in pairs. My question is will the big girls recover in time to be active for the musky opener or will they still be suspended deep recovering from their spawn? Thanks for the insight.

TJ

ya it actually was the latest in many years however it is what it is and it is catching up but most certainly won't be at the same stages as last year with the exact opposite very early ice out.
    it remains to be seen how quickly spawning is completed,how quickly the water warms into the upper 60'and resulting weed growth. i'm sure some may be still be in recovery by opener june 15 but you got 3 weeks. there will be fish using areas/structure in transitions areas close to or even in spawning areas/bays.the suspended deal on canadian shield lakes especially the bigger basins is a sketchy and difficult nut to crack vs lakes of 500-5000 acres or so common to minnesta and wisc many stocked and with population densities much more per acre than natural prodcing trophy canadian lakes.
    that being said for the bigger fish as there are always some big females and also remember eagle has bigger than avg. males running up to 48'+ i would look to areas that first part of the season as i said close to typical spawning areas,warming bays,island clusters,points,shallow rocks etc especially those areas with alot of walleyes being caught as these areas will have an abundance of shallow forage including the walleyes,suckers,perch,hammer handle pike,etc.,and will be warming comfortable water. also trying trolling the smaller deeper basins nearby running baits 12-18' in between casting the shallower structures.hot sunny warming weather keep baits up and vice versa during cold fronts and dropping water temps.
    good luck! i'll be out there slinging too.
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Web Site: http://www.andymyerslodge.com