Life is Good in the Fishing World – May 29, 2013

Fishing continues to be outstanding around the Northwoods. Our biggest enemy has been the weather at times. Right at the moment we have all species of fish crossing paths at the same time and this has opened up some of the best fishing opportunities area anglers could have. Here is what is happening in a quick glance -- WALLEYE continue to bite as well as NORTHERNS which are rapidly picking up the pace. CRAPPIES are either in or moving into their spawning areas. BASS have begun staging or moving into spawning areas and the GILLS are warming up. It’s the Perfect Storm. The best part is it should only get better over the next couple of weeks.
When it comes to walleye, things have become a weed or wood bite depending on the type of water you’re fishing. If it’s a rock-oriented lake you’ll have to concentrate on this type of structure. I’ve been finding fish holding in 3 to 5 ft. on grass edges and if some timber is around, even better! On rock type lakes the best action has been in the 16 to 20 ft. mark. Jig + minnow combos have still been working the best but crankbaits are coming into play and will only get better as the water warms up.
Las weekend saw the MUSKY Opener here in the Northwoods and it was a mixed result from reports I received. These fish have finished spawning and are beginning to feed. Some mid-sized fish are being boated but lots of big fish were seen following. Smaller waters seemed to be the best when it came to action. Van Vliet, Little Crooked and Mercer Lake had very good reports come in with anglers catching fish in the 38 – 42 inch range and fishermen were getting some big follows. These are also some lakes with good panfish activity going on, and I am pretty sure that is why these lakes are so active. Fish are up shallow and smaller lures were working well. 6-inch perch cranes and small bucktails are choice right now.
Well that’s it for now. Good luck fishing.
Jeff Winters

Attachment 19872Attachment 19873