May 11-18 was an opening week like no other. Many resorts in the area had to send guests back home or tell them not to come up. Oak Haven guests enjoyed plenty of open water to catch Walleyes and we supplied our guests with five gallons of shiners for bait. Area bait shacks had very few shiners while our sources kept us loaded.

Hundreds of Walleyes were landed by our guests and most took home their six Walleye freezer limit. Only two over 22 inches were seen here in the fish cleaning house that whole week. At the same time, over a dozen Walleyes between 24 and 29 inches were measured, photographed and released immediately. Debbie and I enjoyed getting up to the minute email pictures of big Walleyes from our guests boats.

On opening day (May 11th) it was cold with winds at 20-40 mph. By Monday and Tuesday it was sunny and 80 degrees. It's now May 22nd and it's been raining non-stop for the last four days it seems.

Guests who know about our key location knew that ice on the lakes was a non-factor here at Oak Haven. Our guests arrived, boated out to see the ice on the lakes, landed Walleyes all week long, and watched the ice go out of the lakes during their week here. For the adventurer, it was a true exciting northern Minnesota experience.

The Walleye bite remains good as I write this. I netted a 17 inch Walleye for a guest fishing from one of our docks yesterday. We have a couple of cabins open May 25 to June 1. Call right now if you can get away for a few days. I have lots of fresh shiners on hand.

All of our cabins are booked for the month of June. But we do have some nice cabins still available in July, August and September. We invite you to vacation at Oak Haven.