www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: TFF Update

Default TFF Update

Thursday's walleye action remained good as my clients and I found nice sized eyes on just about every spot we fished. Deciding not to fish areas where we could get the big numbers of smaller fish, we worked areas that I had not fished yet this spring in search of good quality eyes and it paid off for us. Our first spot was a total bust as we worked a rocky point that dropped from a few feet deep down to 13 and all we came up with was 1 smallie. We then moved to a submerged rock bar that was only 2 feet below the surface but dropped to 11 feet and here we nailed a couple of chunky eyes and another smallie. We then moved to 6 and 8 foot depths with old coontail and found more active eyes, all very chunky to say the least. We continued to try different depths and structure and found success most everywhere. One of our last stops we worked a rock bar in no deeper than 4 feet of water and found 2 more active fat eyes. Both 1/16th and 1/8th ounce Reeves weedless jigs tipped with large fatheads done the trick again. Note,every one of our 18 and 19 inch eyes were males and they were still milking.

Back out on Saturday, will keep you posted.

Don's Guide Service
    dpemble@centurytel.net
    Don Pemble

Default Any news on Spearing

Hi Don,

Has there been any spearing going on? Sounds like the walleyes are still in the spawning mood so it still might take place, or has that already happened? I figure the late ice out might have messed up things a bit.

Posted 5/13/13 Lake-Link

"I was just informed by residents on the TFF that there was up to 40 Native American boats out spearing last night. The most boats they saw with generators and lights on at one time was 27, but they estimated about 40 total. The boats the saw were in the Fishermans landing and Springstead landing area."

BD

The spearing is done as far as I know, and I have to believe the walleye are done spawning as well, many males still milk after the spawn and there are also females that don't drop their eggs, they will absorb them and try again next spring.
    Don Pemble

I came up Wednesday night and took a spin through the Springstead Landing lot on my way in. There was a spearing registration table set up at the ramp and I saw one boat that appeared to be spearing right in the bay. I couldn't see any other boats from the landing or from my shoreline.

I put the boat in Thursday morning and it started right up, which is always a good way to start the season. Surface temp in Baraboo and nearby areas was around 55 degrees. The sun was out all day, and the water had warmed to about 58 in the afternoon. I fished mostly near my place and up the Manitowish Channel about as far as Blair, and caught 8-10 smallies and a few small walleyes and northerns. Saturday the water continued to warm - in some places it got as high as 62 degrees in the afternoon. Smallies were active whenever the sun was out - it seemed like a slow day, but I ended up with about 20 bass, including a 20" and 21". Also caught a 31" northern that made a nice dinner and breakfast, and had a pair of muskies - one very nice - swim right under the boat while I was taking pictures of some wood ducks. All the fish were caught on jerkbaits - both hard and soft. I headed home today due to concerns about possible severe storms here tomorrow. Took a lot of pictures and will get some posted tomorrow. Gas prices along the way home had jumped from $3.85-3.89 Wednesday night to $4.09-4.29 today. Yikes! Here in the Twin Cities, my local stations are at $4.39!

Blue, Good to hear the temps are starting to come up if your up over Memorial Day weekend would like to hear more temps.
    I was worried I might have to weld an inch of steel to the front of the boat to turn it into an icebreaker.
    Started are boat about a month ago, started fine just would not pee, needed new impeller, little lighter in the wallet.
    Heading up first week of June. Hope to see you on the Flowage.