www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Great opener

Default Great opener

My buddy and I fished 2 different lakes around the lake Gogebic area today. The first lake the fish were still spawning. We caught 8 between 16 and 24 inches right where the river came into the lake innthe first hour we were fishing, we launched at 230am and started catching right away. We hit a lull around 6am and couldn't get a bite so moved lakes and picked up 2 22 inch males that were gorging on perch fry. They were stuffed full of food. Those fish came from a rocky humpy area. Overall a great opener we got our 10 by 1030am and released 15 undersized fish. All on jig and minnow except for one random pig on a crawler and slip bobber.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdet View Post
    My buddy and I fished 2 different lakes around the lake Gogebic area today. The first lake the fish were still spawning. We caught 8 between 16 and 24 inches right where the river came into the lake innthe first hour we were fishing, we launched at 230am and started catching right away. We hit a lull around 6am and couldn't get a bite so moved lakes and picked up 2 22 inch males that were gorging on perch fry. They were stuffed full of food. Those fish came from a rocky humpy area. Overall a great opener we got our 10 by 1030am and released 15 undersized fish. All on jig and minnow except for one random pig on a crawler and slip bobber.
    Sounds like you hade a great time like i did. I finally got my boat out fri and sat in those two days i caught 107 walleyes 5 pike 3 smallies...no perch! I was picking fish off all day,but they were spread out on bites. By luck i ran into a huge school of walleyes and couldnt keep up reeling my poles in and rebaiting poles. The second day i decided to hit the same spot a little bit earlier and had the same outcome, needless to say i dont think i will get to experience what i did there for a long time. biggest eye was only 23.25 but still had a blast catching and releasing.

It has been a great opener here too at the resort, all of our customers have been catching fish. mostly adult males in that 15 -19" range. I have seen a few people come in with large females full of spawn. I have tried to talk to these people about select harvest but some people just don't get it. What more can I say, they are within the law.
    I am hoping to get my boat in the water sometime soon it is kinda driving me crazy that we have such a great bite going on and I haven't been in on the action. This weather has made for great fishing but has put me about six weeks behind on my work at the resort.

Please remember to think about select harvest while fishing on Gogebic this spring the future of walleye fishing depends on it.

Thank you,

Tim Long
    Tim Long
    The Timbers Resort &
    Eyes Guy Fishing Guide Service
    P.O. Box 278
    HWY M-28
    Bergland, MI 49910
    Phone: 906-575-3542
    E-mail: thetimbersresort@sbcglobal.net
    Web Site: www.thetimbersresort.com
    Web Site: www.eyes-guy.com

I totally agree, for the most part i always practice catch and release and male or female walleye i always let the big ones go. I normally keep the 15-19" eyes. This season is sort of a rare occasion for everyone to catch big fish and i hope that everyone dosent over indulge in it. Appreciate the good fishing but also preserve the good fishing.

I agree my boat rule is anything over 22 inches goes back. We always catch our limits but rarely keep our limits. I go to Ohio in the spring and fish Erie so I certainly don't need to fill any freezers lol.

i hope the hot bite keeps for a few weeks,ill be up there in the end of june, fishing on the bays have been super slow

This last Wednesday was the best fishing I have had on Gogebic. We fished in th afternoon and for 2 hours we were getting a fish every cast. We probably caught over 100 fish and only one would have been big enough to keep. We switched to ultra lights and had a freakin blast. Jig and minnow was the ticket.

Cdet, the fishing on Lake Gogebic has been very good so far this year. After the spawn it is typical for things to slow down a little. What you experienced was the immature males were still hanging around were their big brother were a week earlier but after these adult fish have a little time to recover they should be ready to eat again.

I would try the shallows first and then slide into some of the new weeds that will be coming up. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for posting on outdoor 911. keep in touch we enjoy hearing from you.

Tim Long
    Tim Long
    The Timbers Resort &
    Eyes Guy Fishing Guide Service
    P.O. Box 278
    HWY M-28
    Bergland, MI 49910
    Phone: 906-575-3542
    E-mail: thetimbersresort@sbcglobal.net
    Web Site: www.thetimbersresort.com
    Web Site: www.eyes-guy.com