Opening Day up here was slow to say the least. There was very little open water and those places were very cold with water temps hovering around 35 degrees. Saturday afternoon brought us warmer temps and winter has finally loosened its grip. A bunch of smaller lakes opened Tuesday night and there are quite a few more ready to go.
We started banging walleyes on Tuesday, boating over 50 with all but 6 over 15-inches. It’s amazing how good fishing is when you find those pre-speared walleyes. Fish are up shallow on gravel and rock and jig & minnow combos are best. Slip bobbers have also been effective on the mid lake spawning bars.

We still have quite a bit of ice around – especially on the larger lakes. Waters like Trout Lake are still a ways from opening. I don’t expect Trout open till the middle or end of next week at the earliest. 80% of the Turtle Flambeau Flowage is still socked in also. I never thought I’d say this, but we need wind. It’s been calm for two weeks and watching ice melt is like watching paint dry. One good blast of wind would help a lot.
That’s it for now.
JeffAttachment 19720Attachment 19721