www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: horseshoe

Default horseshoe

i know it comes up every now and then about safe passage into horseshoe lake. i will be traveling from around lake bastine ,just looking for a little help I'm sure Don knows he took me there before ,i do remember someone had some pics.any help would help thanks

Sureshot,

I also remember someone posting a overhead map that had been marked up to show the old logging dam on the way into the Horseshoe. If memory serves, the marked up picture also showed that a section of the old logging dam that been removed and was much easier navigate through.

I think that Blue Ranger may have done the original post - hopefully he will read this and re-post the info or give a link to the old post.

Right now(4/29)its very easy to get into Horseshoe, just walk on the ice !! Most of the snow has finally melted and my south facing shoreline finally had a some open water yesterday. However, there is no way there will be open water by Saturday.

Tight Lines,

Tom502

sureshot,
    Here's a path I saved on a handheld, hopefully you can overlay it on a map. The exit to big water from the dam is in the lower-left corner.

HRG

Attachment 19654

Here's the approximate route. The red patches are some of the hazards to be aware of, including the rock dam. Assuming you're coming from Baraboo headed toward Horseshoe/Townline, note that when you make the turn from south to east, you want to give a fairly wide berth to the south shore of the island on your left - HRG's line goes way too close. What looks like a small reed patch sticking out from the shore actually indicates a fairly large underwater bar that still has a few submerged stumps well out from shore in addition to the ones that are visible closer to shore at low water levels. The rock dam isn't much of an issue at typical spring water levels - even at 5' down, there are only a couple rocks that stick above the water. But once it gets down 2-3' you either need to know exactly where to run through it, or slow down and tilt your motor up. That's when we start hearing occasional banging and cursing!

Attachment 19675

This was a more recent one. The red line is marked as the channel on all the older versions of the FHS map I've seen, and they probably haven't corrected it on newer ones. It's fine to fish through there if you're careful, but I would never operate my outboard in there at any speed, except at full pool. There are several stumps and a rock the size of a VW (with a nice pointy top) in the middle, below/left of the line is shallow rocks, and there are additional rock bars farther east once you think you've made it through into "open" water. I've seen a lot of damage take place in that area over the years. As you can see from the green line, I actually make a fairly hard arc to the right as I'm going through the rock dam.

Attachment 19674

thanks to all , i dont get up that way much ,i stay at lakeview and hit the rat and ten , but sometimes i get squarely and head that way.the pics you post on how to get through are great thanks .we get up there on the 19th for a week and will try to post when we are there , thanks again