www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: About that "TREATY" thing

Default About that "TREATY" thing

The term, "Lac du Flambeau" (French) means "Lake of the Flames" in English. The Indians living in the Lac du Flambeau Reservation are Ojibwe Indians ("oh-jib-way"). The "Lake of the Flames" is actually the lake currently known as Torch Lake. The early French fur traders noted that the Ojibwe Indians called, "Waaswaaanininiwag" ("Torch Lake Men") caught walleyes at night with the use of torches. That's how "Torch Lake" got its name. This name is closely related to "Lake of the Flames" from which the LDF or "Lac du Flambeau" title has emerged.

The Ojibwe battled the Dakota Tribe of the Sioux Nation and ejected them from the area. Subsequently, the Ojibwe and the United States Government also engaged in hostilities and contested ownership of this land. In and effort to cease hostilities, the Ojibwe concluded a Treaty with the United States in which the Ojibwe ceded much of their land to the U.S. However, part of the treaty agreement provided for continued native fishing rights to the Ojibwe Tribe within the ceded land. But, for a long period of time these fishing rights were not observed. Many of us (possibly all of us?) were totally unaware of the existence of this Treaty, and we happily fished walleyes while observing the usual DNR-imposed bag limit of five fish per day. No consideration at all was given to the rights of the Ojibwe as specified in the Treaty. In recent years, court decisions have reaffirmed the rights that the United States of America agreed to with the Ojibwe Indians way back when. Unfortunately, ever since the courts rendered their decision regarding the Treaty, a reduced limit on walleye fishing has been imposed upon those of us who love to fish the waters of the Turtle Flambeau Flowage.

On the one hand, some of us feel "cheated" because the courts have belatedly and correctly recognized the terms of this Treaty. Others of us might tend to feel that we got away with non-compliance for a long time, and, therefore, we should now appreciate the fact that the Ojibwe are allowing us to fish for walleyes and still remain in compliance with the negotiated Treaty, albeit at a reduced daily bag limit.

In any case, it seems to me that absent an amendment to that age-old Treaty (an amendment which, by the way, cannot be imposed unilaterally by the DNR, or anyone else, despite the yearning of some folks), we should be big enough to live with it while continuing to enjoy and appreciate the beauty presented to us while fishing the waters of the Turtle Flambeau Flowage.

I, for one, am certainly grateful that I have had many years of solitude and wonder while trying to coax a bite as I fish in this beautiful little corner of the world. I'm also sincerely appreciative of the memorable people I've met while engaged in that effort - - to say nothing of enjoying (in the past) that delicious beer concocted by Mr. Leinenkugel. Hey, how lucky can one guy get?

(By way of explanation, several years ago my doc put me on a prescription medication that precludes the ingestion of any alcohol at all. All I can say is that imbibing was nice while it lasted.)

The Treaty is a touchy subject, but I thought I'd just wade-in with my own opinion. So, go ahead, now, and let loose with the slings and arrows.

Well said Mauler. When you really think about it, you can catch as many walleyes as you want...every day...all day. Just release all but 2. After all, it's about fishing, not filling your freezer. So unless the POTUS abrogates the treaties, which we all know isn't going to happen, we might as well do like Sig Hansen says...SHUT UP AND FISH!
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.