www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Memorial Day Ice Out??

Default Memorial Day Ice Out??

Brian,
    What's going on at Cass Lake? It's been pretty quiet here....SO I cancelled my reservation for the WI opener due to ice. I assume (at least I hope) Cass Lake will be ice free by Memorial Day but it might be close. I have been up there the last 10 years for the week around Memorial Day but am expecting a cold water walleye bite...let me know your thoughts on this years prospects.

My parents taught me if I didn't have anything nice to say, to say nothing at all. This spring has left me shaking my head and with not much to report! I walked out on the lake the other day and the ice looked great. With the warm temps that start to move in tomorrow I'm guessing the ice will deteriorate rather quick and be gone in a couple of weeks.

Memorial day week will have cold water but I expect the fishing will be pretty good. To still have ice then we would pretty much have to be entering into a new ice-age. Keep in mind the power of the sun right now is the same as it is in August. A little nicer temps mixed with some clear days and the ice will be gone before you know it.
    First Choice Guide Service
    Brian Jones
    Web Site: http://www.fishingcasslake.com
    612-730-9620

Thanks for the reply Brian! I hope the warm weather takes it off quick...

I hope your right - we were gone a day and I was surprised how much has melted already. Birch Villas shore line has receded in just the 2 days of awesome temps.
    Sah-Kah-Tay Beach Resort on Cass Lake
    Web Site: http://www.sahkahtay.com/

Brian,
    I was kind of kidding with my original post title "Memorial Day Ice Out" but it looks closer to the truth than the joke it was a few weeks ago. At any rate, how is it looking for the next week at Cass/Kitchi? Where can a guy buy 3-5 lbs. of leeches next week?

Yooper-

It looks like ice out on the main basin will be tomorrow or Friday. The wind yesterday and today basically destroyed it but I can still see a little bit out there. For leeches you could try Tabers in Bemidji or Tappers Bait 10 miles North of Bemidji. It would be great if the Scenic Store in Pennington could get them but I haven't asked them about leeches yet. With not being able to fish yet I haven't even thought much about bait...strange year!
    First Choice Guide Service
    Brian Jones
    Web Site: http://www.fishingcasslake.com
    612-730-9620

Brian,
    Hopefully you have had a chance to wet a line by now. I secured some leeches and am looking forward to a week on Cass Lake chain...what is a guy to expect this coming week? We'll be up there Saturday to Saturday. The weather looks decent and am wondering what the water temps are looking like.

Yooper,

Where you staying? We are headed up from the Chicago area on Sunday and fishing all week. We will be staying at Cass Lake Lodge.

We'll be at Lost Acres on Kitchi again this year...A little off the beaten path but they have been good to us over the years.

timhoma-
    Welcome to the forum, by the way...I see that was your first post. Hope you have a great time at Cass. Fishing should be excellent!