www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Terrova I-Pilot

Default Terrova I-Pilot

Just picked one up and absolutely love it so far. When I finally have time to figure it all out, it will completely change the way I attack the water.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Red, did you get the 80 or 101 lb. thrust ?

It is an 80# just like the one it replaced........has plenty of power for a long day in pretty high winds.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

A shooter at Quantico once told me " The only thing better than power is more power " However if 80# work before so should it now. Good luck with the upgrade Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Childress View Post
    Just picked one up and absolutely love it so far. When I finally have time to figure it all out, it will completely change the way I attack the water.
    'Bout damn time! You are really going to love it.

Mine is going on 3 years old... one of the first ones produced and no problem so far *fingers crossed*. Last summer I even sawed a 1.5" diameter hole in the head unit when I had a rod with 80# braid strapped against it laying in a trailer. I was towing the trailer down I-79 and the vibration of the line and the head against each other sawed right through the plastic. I couldn't believe that could happen, but the braid was the only thing touching the head unit.

The 24V system should be fine for whatever you do Red. The only time I ever ran out of juice was a 2 day trip on the Susky right after Hurricane Sandy. The current was really too high to be fishing and I was running on 6-7 most of the trip just to control my drift. It ran out on the 2nd day. I could've broght an extesion cord and been fine.

That being said, when this one eventually goes I will upgrade to the 101 or whatever it is. The only reason is that I have no patience and when I have to go back upstream to release a snag I want to get there quickly so I can keep fishing! With 2 guys and gear the boat weighs over 2000# so a strong current will strain the 80 going back upriver.

Here are some pics of the damage to the head unit. Amazing how clean the braid cut it.

Red,
    I made a few modifications to mine to suit my needs that you or anybody else with an ipilot might find useful.

1. I had to cut the shaft down on mine because it was too long. They only offered it in the long shaft when I bought it, but maybe you were able get a shorter length now.
    2. I also got a Ram Mount with a TM keeper. This secures the head while it's in the stowed position so the head doesn't shake around when traveling on the road or long distances on the river. I just figured shaking around cannot be good for the gps inside there.
    3. I opened up the remote and cut off the rubber nub on the backide of the rabbit button. This disabled the rabbit button making it safer. It's very easy to hit that rabbit button by mistake with gloves on.

The 45" shaft is offered now and is a perfect length for boats like ours. I use a simple bungee cord for the motor head and it works fine but with 15 less inches, it does not vibrate that much at all anyway.

I like your idea regarding the "rabbit button"......may have to use that one.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress