www.lakegenevacannery.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Out ?

Default Ice Out ?

What do all of you place the over under at on Ice being off the Flowage by opening weekend?
    I believe it was clear at this point already last year. Little over a month to go.
    I'll peg it at May 7th. With Ice at least still in some of the Southern Bays on opening weekend.

A lot can happen in five weeks, I'll say May 2, 2013, the ice will go out. Last year, Flambeau Fluffy's big book of records, states that the ice went out March 21, 2012. We had our docks, lift and boat in by April 1, 2012.

Keep your stick on the ice,
    The Tiny Fisherman...<*){{{{><

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Tim,

Do you have a time to go with your prediction? We should start a pool. Do you have an extra snoopy "rod"(aka pole) and reel for a prize? LOL Otherwise, I'll offer one book of tickets for the TFFA summer raffle. A book of tickets gives the winner 3 chances for cash prizes of $300, $200 and $100. Therefore the winner of the 2013 "ice out pool" could win $600!

If Flambeau Fluffy is willing, I propose that she be the official judge. Guesses must be during daylight hours. "Ice Out" will be when she cannot see ice from your shore or the shore of Flambeau Vista Retreat. The winner will be the guess closest to the "official" ice out date and time without going over. One guess per person. In case of a tie, the first person guessing the date and time is the winner.

Tiny Fisherman, Flambeau Fluffy, Kathy and myself are not eligible. Once the winner is declared, I will send them a private message via this site with details of collecting their prize.

What do you think?

Tickets may also be purchased for $5 a book at most TFF businesses starting May 3, 2013. A portion of the proceeds will go to the fund to help fight invasive species in the TFF. The remainder goes to the TFFA for the promotion and enhancement of the TFF.

I'll guess that the ice will go out on April 25th at 3pm.

April 30th at high noon. If i win I will donate my proceeds to the org.

May 2nd @ 11:00 a.m.

April 27 8am

I'll stick ( sort of) to my original post. Except If I'm right Tim & Fluffy are on Bastine?
    Ice out should be a bit sooner in their area. I'll say May 5th at noon.
    Scott you need to put a date on final entries our someone could wait until May 1st to enter...

Good point Connor. The deadline for guesses will be 6:00 pm cdt on Friday, April 26, 2013. I'm still waiting for The Tiny Fisherman's response about judging this pool. Their property is just west of Donners Bay Resort. Flambeau Vista is on the South end of Lake Bastine where a lot of ice collects with the typical North wind. (wink, wink!)

Quote Originally Posted by luv2brw View Post
    I'll guess that the ice will go out on April 25th at 3pm.
    I'll take April 25th at 2:59 pm. Just messin with ya Brad.

April 29th for me... 7:00 p.m. Could be later, but I am going to be optimistic!!!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Benson; 04-01-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Mark,

What time are you claiming?

April 18 At 2pm. It is going to warm up quick! Changing to May 18, It might never warm up. Thanks Al.
    Last edited by JayandCade; 04-10-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Al Gore lied to me

Edited my entry for time... Thanks!!!

Mark

Just got off the phone with Al Gore; said he’s been busy working on the Internet and hasn’t had much time to work on Global Warming, hence the cold spring.

With that insider information I am predicting May 8th @ 9:11 am

BD

well i would pick May 1st if it is still open. i like the slot limit of 8 to445 since that is the time i work . and what is the official meaning of ice out and what part of the flowage are we talking about .[just trying to get all the rules straight] . i think that since flambeau suggested a snoopy pole I'm in for that . and since we are down here in IL. i think it would be great if he hooked up a webcam so we all could see it live. we check out the ones downtown,at deer lodge and gateway, to see one at flambeau's would be great

Sureshot,

Scroll down to my March 27th post for the "rules". A webcam would be great, but our cabins aren't set up for that. High speed internet is not yet available through our phone lines where we are located. That's the price you pay for living in God's country!
    Last edited by Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC; 04-02-2013 at 12:48 PM.

I will go with April 24th at 10:00 am!
    Last edited by byronbears84; 04-05-2013 at 03:54 PM.

The way this spring is going...I'm going to guess June 8th at 3:31am.
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

I will sweeten the pot; Winner also gets George’s secret spot, Sorry George but it is April 1st

Attachment 19538

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frogger.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	19537

Oh boy...we're talkin' Mega Prize now!
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

I've got to give everyone the actual date the ice will be out. Will be some disappointed fisherman. Checked with my guru and he stated that the ice will go out in front of the tiny fishermans place at 12:45 on May 4th. He said there will be some wind in that area to break up the ice. He also stated that there will still be some ice on lake Bastine in front of Scott's Flambeau Vista and our cabin until 10:30 Sunday A.M. the 5th. This is one time I hope my guru is wrong.

Walt,

I also hope your guru is wrong, but your guess is duly noted.

Flambeau Fluffy has agreed to declare the official "ice-out", so it is game on everyone. May the best forecaster win!

As this weird spring goes on my June 8th prediction for ice out looks better and better!
    George

I'm starting to wonder about Memorial Day weekend! I'm going to guess May 13. Here's an interesting ramification - the fish refuges below the falls and around Seifert's Point only run from April 1 to May 14. There might still be walleyes concentrated in those locations - I wonder if they can institute an emergency extension. Regardless, the last time we had a relatively late thaw, the walleye fishing was ridiculous the first few weeks of the season.

The way this winter is going I'm going to guess May 6th, high noon if it isn't taken... that is, of course the Monday after opening weekend! Guy I work with was ice fishing near Tomahawk last week, he measured 30" of ice....

opening weekend a wash...may 8th 2pm

Default Spearing after openener

Just curious. Does anyone know how the DNR will handle spearing after the season is open. Seems to me it could get pretty interesting.

They can spear after the opener if they elect to do so...

Mark

Default Clarify my question

When I asked what the DNR will do if spearing takes place after the opening, I meant what will they do about us. Will the average "joe fisherman" be allowed to fish when the Indians are spearing. What if I'm anchored on a rock bar after dark, but before they they arrive? Their spearing will most likely ruin my night. Plus I could see some anger issues???

My guess is May 9th @ 11:00 a.m. Hope to be way off!
    After reading Don H's question about spearing after ice out all I could think of is the scene from Gladiator where Maximus is yelling to his men to HOLD THE LINE!!!! That is what we need to do when on our favorite fishing spot I should sell T shirts with that......
    Last edited by Grinder; 04-17-2013 at 02:34 PM.

DonH:

If they are still spearing after the opener, I plan to be anchored on my favorite spot and know I am not moving... But they might come back after I leave...

Mark

Starting to wonder if ice out submissions need to be re-entered notating the year.

bd

Good one Black Duck! Actually, we are only one week away from the deadline I had set for people making their ice-out prediction. I may need to amend that as I know we won't have ice-out by next weekend. If any of you placed a bet for prior to April 26, 2013, you can file a new guess up to that date.

Since this is all in good fun with no money involved, I trust there will be no objections. The winner still gets a book of raffle tickets though that makes them eligible to win up to $600!

Well, back to snow shoveling!

I will say May 5th @3:45PM. May be a tough opener!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast