www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: The Way it Was

Default The Way it Was

Attachment 19452
    I see that somebody posted info that might lead us to believe that we'll face a two-walleye limit this year. I just thought I'd include a photo taken 50 years ago after I made a short boat trip with Gene Netzel. Gene was noted for his "stump dunking" acumen. The only things that would be taken in the boat - in addition to fishing rods - was lotsa nightcrawlers, a bunch of hooks and a bunch of weights. There were lots of "leaners" in the Flowage back in those days. Gene would row the boat against the wind and hold it with oars near where the roots of the upturned tree were presumed to be. The walleyes would lie in wait in the area of the upturned roots and would feed on the crawdads that gathered there. A big, juicy nightcrawler was a real treat for them. Nowadays, it's in vogue to snip off a piece of worm and affix it to a jig. Back then the walleyes preferred to wolf down the entire fat, juicy nightcrawler. Some fun!

On this particular day, it only took a couple of hours of fishing in the big water to bring home our limit of 10 walleyes. It was a no-no to bump into any part of the leaner. When I was a kid, Grampa used to say, "If you boys make any noise in the boat, it'll scare the fish away." It was his way of keeping my younger brother and me from becomming too rambunctious. But, Gene's admonition against bumping the leaner actually had merit. It was best not to give alarm to the lurking walleyes. If you bumped the leaner, give up and just move on.

On many occasions, the hook might get snagged in the roots. We didn't waste time. Just snip the line and tie on a new hook and sinker and move on to the next leaner. Back then, the big water was full of 'em.

Gene was rumored to be half bear, half deer and half renegade. He sure did know his way around the woods and around the Flowage. He could also certainly drink his share of Kugel in the bar at Al's Place (now Fort Flambeau Condominiums).

It's near to the middle of March right now. We've got two more months to wait for opening day, so I'll digress a bit and move away from fishing. The editors can delete this if I'm now violating the rules of the Forum.

Somebody posted a question about sunglasses, and mentioned that his doctor told him he had "fighter pilot's eyes." So, I just thought I'd mention the fact that I'm now past the big Eight Oh. That makes eight decades of time spent on this lovely planet - made especially so by virtue of the existence of the Turtle Flambeau Flowage. But, back during the Korean War ("Police Action" is the way Harry Truman put it), I enlisted in the Air Force on my 19th birthday. And, believe it or not, they actually did make a 20-year-old fighter pilot out of me! I actually still do have "fighter pilot's eyes." I can read the Forum or books without any need for glasses, and I can see a "bogie" (hawk) circling in the sky many miles away. I initially flew the Lockheed F-94-A and the F-94-B. Both of these planes saw action in Korea.

It was 60 years ago that I became a fighter pilot. And, right now, as I write this, the North Koreans are threatening to negate the cease-fire that took place back in 1953. There never was a peace treaty or surrender that was signed. So, I'm wondering if they'll call me back to active duty to finish the job. I've still got my crash helmet (we called them our "brain bucket"), but I'm now pretty sure that I wouldn't fit into my old flight suit since I'm some 30 pounds heavier. Also, I'd probably be one of the oldest first lieutenants in the outfit. That being the case, I'll no doubt promptly forget the password of the day. (Hey, I'm 80! They'll just hafta make allowances for that!)

But, if they need me I might hafta give up some fishing in the Flowage this summer. However, unless duty calls, I'm going to see if my stump-dunking ways might still find a walleye or two lurking in the roots of some upright stump. If I'm limited to two, I can always soothe my disappointment over that fact by gazing upon this 50-year-old photo of how it was back in the good 'ol days.

Give a wave as you pass by if you happen to see me tied to a stump while drowning a big, fat, juicy nightcrawler.

Musky Mauler

Hey Mauler!
    That was my eye doc that said that. Thank you for your service. I've got a feeling that if they called you back, the North Koreans would be in serious trouble! Thanks for the story; it sure helps with the "cabin fever" this time of year. Oh, and while I can easily spot that hawk, I had to put on the ol' cheaters to read this post. Thanks for the picture too!
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Musky Mauler,

I've gone back and read the majority of posts on this forum and noticed you seem to enjoy writing about your previous experiences on the Flowage, from the "good ole days". Although I don't post often, I enjoy reading them. I'm sure I'm not the only one who takes liking to your stories, but typically doesn't post to say so. So keep em coming.

-Bret

Musky Mauler,

Thanks for your service and Great Story and also Happy 80th Birthday!!!