28 Turkey Spring 15.00 15.00
    29 Turkey Spring Senior 6.00 6.00
    30 Wolf Nonresident 500.00 500.00
    31 Wolf Resident 100.00 100.00
    Annual Revenue Projection Amount
    Gross Annual Revenue $71,958,052
    Less Commission (7.5%) ($5,396,854)
    Subtotal $66,561,198
    Less Current Annual Revenue ($48,228,398)
    Net New Annual Revenue $18,332,799
    Notes:
    *Proposal retains senior discounts at 60% for all currently eligible licenses except for bear and 24
    hour fishing.
    *Proposal does not include 15% multi-license discount.
    *Proposal would require that all replacement licenses are charged at the same price as the original
    licenses.
    *Proposal assumes 7% decline in license sales due to resistance to license fee changes.
    *FY14 Executive Budget does not reflect full annual revenue as the proposed license changes would
    not take effect until March 1, 2014.
    02/06

Angry non resident fees

i see more than a 7 % drop for non residents in the fishing license, that's a pretty hefty increase

I thought the DNR was worried about recruiting young hunters and fishermen or retaining old ones. Many baby boomers have moved across the state line to find a job but still have connections back in the UP. Don't you think the price increase will make those former residents think twice about spending that much? And as the generations continue to leave the state to look for work, there will be less and less young recruits to try to keep up the revenue the DNR is looking for. I say you have to keep the non residents happy too. Increase the numbers and you can hold down all prices. Have they ever thought about a reciprocity between states like some do for college tuition?
    JBovay

Looks pretty much inline with bordering states, I always thought our non resident licenses were on the low side.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Looks pretty much inline with bordering states, I always thought our non resident licenses were on the low side.
    Pretty much what I was thinking.. and what they had in mind I'm sure.
    OK... 10 More Minutes

Here's Wisconsin's non-resident license fees for comparison.

Nonresident Fishing

Fishing, Annual 50.00
    Fishing, Family Annual (primary) (includes children 16 & 17 years of age) 65.00
    Fishing, Family Annual (secondary) 0.00
    Fishing, Annual First-time buyer 25.75
    Fishing, 1 day (Can be used towards upgrade to annual license for $40.75) 10.00
    Fishing, 4 day 24.00
    Fishing, 15 day 28.00
    Fishing, 15 day Family 40.00
    Inland Trout Stamp 10.00
    Great Lake Salmon/Trout Stamp 10.00
    Great Lake Fishing, 2 day (includes Great Lake Salmon/Trout Stamp) 14.00

I'm from MI. but now live in AR. I return to MI. every year in the spring for 2 months to fish BBDN. What are you thinking Mi. If you raise your non-resident to $75 I will not be back. In my 2 month stay I spend a lot of money at mom and pop stores in the UP. These are the people you are really hurting. Good-by Mi.

grant

For 2 months of fishing your extra cost is going to be $ 33, sorry but thats 50 cents a day. That won't stop me from fishing on lakes that are as good or better than anywhere in the midwest.

Default Welcome home!!

Quote Originally Posted by icatchalot View Post
    For 2 months of fishing your extra cost is going to be $ 33, sorry but thats 50 cents a day. That won't stop me from fishing on lakes that are as good or better than anywhere in the midwest.
    My son was born and raised in the UP. He lived the outdoors with hunting and fishing until having to move out of state for job opportunities. Many of our local youth have had to do the same to make a living. He returns to visit family and friends and enjoy the outdoors (especially deer camp). Unfortunately these new out of state pricing proposals will make some think -"is it worth it" for the amount of time they have to visit. What a shame and "Welcome home message" they are sending!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jigrapper View Post
    My son was born and raised in the UP. He lived the outdoors with hunting and fishing until having to move out of state for job opportunities. Many of our local youth have had to do the same to make a living. He returns to visit family and friends and enjoy the outdoors (especially deer camp). Unfortunately these new out of state pricing proposals will make some think -"is it worth it" for the amount of time they have to visit. What a shame and "Welcome home message" they are sending!!!!
    Servicemen and women are free. I know its getting expensive for non resident.. so is every state. The surrounding states and Canada have been much higher for years.. what you are seeing is an effort to help with the states fishery without pricing it out of the market for families that live here. I would think, in hopes, that they will stay here and help build this state. I lived out of state for a few years and I know what your saying.. it does suck to have to pay when you "come back home".. I'm sure the extra $33 means tightening the budget on your trip. Do you think that the residents of the state, who live here, work here, pay property taxes, income tax, and eat here every day should pay as much to fish here as non residents?
    OK... 10 More Minutes

I understand that a $33 increase for non-resident licenses is significant---about an 80% increase. I'm hoping that if this goes through, the realignment of dollars will offset the increase with new and better fishing opportunities. The draft strategic plan for fisheries addresses that and the Department will need to be held accountable for justifying the increase. Hate to hear that someone wouldn't choose to come back to our great state because of an increase, but it does align more closely with the rates of neighboring states who seem to be doing fairly well on license sales.

I buy a Wisconsin non-resident license for $70 bucks every year. I don't even question the price. I spring coho fish Lake Superior in Michigan waters but usually launch my boat in Wisconsin. I also take my daughter and occassionally fish inland trout lakes in Wisconsin. I always figure that the license fees I pay helps create the fishing that I enjoy doing and is a small price I pay for the fun I have . If its important to you, you will pay it and not think twice.