www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Boga Grip

Default Boga Grip

OK....so I spent a bunch of money on a Boga Grip and the first musky fisherman that I showed it to told me to throw that piece of $%#! in the trash. He said that it will mame and eventually kill the fish. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks,

Brian

That's a bunch of bull... It is one of the great tools to use in conjunction with the many other release tools... Just be sure to put a large float on it so it doesn't end up on the bottom of the lake!!!

Mark

I have never used one but I have a friend who loves it. He believes if you use a net you will kill the fish(due to the slime being removed), I do not believe this, catch and release works and most muskies that are caught go into a net. He only uses a Boga grip, and never takes the fish out of the water. I fish alone alot so I use a net, I always thought it would be difficult to use a Boga grip by yourself, especially with a 9 foot rod trying to get the fish close enough to grab and then never being able to have both hands free after(always having to hold the Boga grip with one hand) sounds tough to manage. I could be wrong here, I have never used one.

I don't use one, but I have seen Bucher use one and if Bucher uses one it must be OK.

I think as long as you aren't lifting the fish with the boga the fish will be fine. Esox (especially big ones) aren't designed to have all their weight suspended from their jaw, or tail for that matter. A lot of testing has been done with saltwater species to confirm this. Much testing has been done on Muskies that were captured by net also, as long as its wet it does little or no harm.

... Just be sure to put a large float on it so it doesn't end up on the bottom of the lake!!!

Mark[/QUOTE]

That was the first thing I did.......attach the float.

"the other andy"......from Madison?

Brian

So.....has anyone seen any good video's showing how to properly land a fish?

Quote Originally Posted by fangmbr View Post
    "the other andy"......from Madison?

Brian
    FWIW I'm from Park Falls. This site has some good tips for handling muskie.
    http://catchandrelease.webs.com/muskietools.htm