www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Looking for advice

Default Looking for advice

Our family takes a bacjpacking or canoe trip each year and this summer we are looking at a canoe trip in northern Wisconsin. We are looking for a trip that would have one or two days river paddling and a couple of days camping on a lake. We are comfortable with primitive camping areas. We have all had some experience with class I and II rapids.
    Does the Turtle Flambeau flowage offer this type of canoeing?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickrarick View Post
    Our family takes a bacjpacking or canoe trip each year and this summer we are looking at a canoe trip in northern Wisconsin. We are looking for a trip that would have one or two days river paddling and a couple of days camping on a lake. We are comfortable with primitive camping areas. We have all had some experience with class I and II rapids.
    Does the Turtle Flambeau flowage offer this type of canoeing?

Thanks for your help.
    The Turtle F F offers great camping and miles of shoreline and thousands of acres of water, fishing is great, wildlife galore, As with any body of water canoes suffer from disrespectful high powered boats. Camp sites are all over the flowage and are free. Rules apply to these campsites but are not overly restrictive. You can contact the Mercer DNR site and they will give you invormation. It has allways been one of the most beautiful places to enjoy. 3/4 of the shore line is uninhabited (est). Donners Bay resort can also provide you information . You would be able to park their and go camp or canoe and rent a cabin from them also. Great Place. Enjoy the flowage, its great !

if you are looking for another place west of the flowage ,you can try oxbow resort , they are on the river west of park falls on 13 .look them up on the web

rickarick,

I direct a camp adventure program in the area. We ran 36 wilderness trips (over 500 kids) in this area last summer, and I can assure you that you will find plenty of good paddling. There is river canoeing above and below the lake, with camping possible on the stretch of the Flambeau just upstream of the lake. No rapids up there though. The section below the dam (downstream of the TFF) has some fun little whitewater and good fishing, but no legal camping. For the best whitewater WITH camping, you should look at the stretch of the Flambeau south of Park Falls in the Flambeau River State Forest. There is some beautiful paddling between Hwy W and Beaver Dam landing that would definitely fit what you're describing. If you are interested in lake paddling (boundary waters-ish) than the TFF is great. Just pay attention to wind and boats. Its a big lake and can get scary fast if you're in the wrong place. Glad to answer more specific questions if you have any.

Rick,

I live on the TFF and see lots of canoe/kayak groups here every summer.

For a great web page, click on the WI -DNR web site devoted to the TFF and surrounding wilderness area.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/turtleflambeau/

Good Luck,

Tom502