Although ice conditions are not currently optimum, anglers exercising caution can cash in on some fine fishing at present. Recent weeks have provided not only local action from “eater” walleyes, but the occasional trophy or two has also been available. The early ice period on many lakes and rivers is often one of the most productive times to hit the ice for a number of reasons.

First, fishing pressure and on-ice traffic is at a minimum although as on most local bodies of water, it will not remain that way for very long. Second, the presence of remaining healthy green weeds offer ambush points, attract baitfish, and produce oxygen. In our area, Lake DuBay, Lake Wausau, and Half Moon all offer great first-ice opportunities for walleyes.

Begin your search this time of year by locating areas of green weeds where available, or larger, shallower flats containing structure such as stumps. The key to finding the “spot on a spot” sections are to find these areas in proximity to deeper water such as main lake basins or main river channels. Once located, drill multiple holes well before sun-up or sundown to make sure you have a decent “spread” and to allow you to move holes without having to drill once the fish begin moving shallower.

I prefer tip-ups that cover the entire hole, such as the Pro Thermal tip-up by Frabill. This style reduces light from shining down the hole, helping create a more natural presentation; in addition, they help prevent your hole from freezing when fishing the early morning or evening bites.
Often I will jig with a Rapala Jigging Rap or Jigging Shad Rap after I have my tip-ups set, even in shallow water, and prefer to tip my presentation with a minnow head for additional scent and attraction. A more subtle jigging action is required in shallow water as the strike zone decreases when there is but a few feet of water under the ice.

As with any early ventures out onto the hard water, safety is first priority – this year already there have been vehicles that have fallen through the ice. First ice walleye fishing can produce some excellent action, both for numbers of fish and size. While walleyes do make for an excellent meal, and a number of recipes can be found in cookbooks as well as on websites, please practice selective harvest – only keep what you’ll eat and let the big ones go. Let’s keep the local walleye fishery strong for years to come! I’ll see you on the water…

Tight lines,