www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fish Stitching

Default Fish Stitching

Has anyone ever hooked a fish in the belly and what did you do? With the size of the trebles on some of the musky baits, I'm sure it happens from time to time. I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to have a sewing kit on hand or some other way to "seal" the wound...

Interesting topic, but I would have to say that if it is not terribly torn,it would heal better on its own. I think trying to stitch up a fish would stress the fish out and potentially cause more damage or death.

I think you are letting them have the bait too long if your hooking them in the belly.....ha ha..

I would think the "on the water ER visit" would over stress the fish as well. Very interesting idea. I would unhook it in the net, move slowly to calm water if in a river system, leave it in the net to allow it to build up some strenght, then release it and stick around in the area for 20 minutes or so.

I agree with inflicting as little stress on the fish as possible, however, I'm thinking more along the lines of a bad, potentially fatal wound. When we're talking about a powerful 30, 40, 50 inch fish and a 5/0+ treble in a soft spot, the damage is more likely to be fatal than not. I think setting the hook and fighting a fish that size could open up a 2-4+ inch laceration pretty easily. Once you realize what happened, is it too late to save the fish? Do you keep it? Do you try to revive and release it or is there something more you could do (stitch it)? I would feel bad knowing I could have done something more to increase its chances of survival.

As a last ditch effort with a fish you know isn't going to make it....guess you have nothing to loose at that point.
    By the time you realize you might try some needle work it's probably too late anyway.

It happens, I've released 2 fish since 2005 that I'm about 99% sure they didn't make it.
    Released 500+ fish from the boat that did make it.....so......you handle them the best you can, you stop fishing when the water temps are too high, limit the time you have them out of the water, have all your release tools along and ready, perfect the whole release from start to finish.
    Even the two fish I've lost bothers me......I get it.

Years ago I always thought I'd get my first 50+ mounted....when it happened it was business as usual get that beauty back in the water, except I was a little shakey!!!! They all need to go back.
    That is what replicias are for.

Do what you can, learn from your mistakes, but.....there are going to be circumstances out of your control.