www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky Books and Other Educational Materials...

Default Musky Books and Other Educational Materials...

Guys,

Have any of you picked up the new Tom Gelb and/or Jim Saric books? I'm just curious to see how they are. I'll probably pick them up anyhow, just to have something to peruse during the Winter months but I've been disappointed with the last couple of books that I've ordered.

Along those same lines, I ran across a website that features DVD's by a guy called "Doctor Sonar" that are supposed to help with understanding fish finders. Thats something I've been wanting to learn more about for a few years now. I might have to try them out even tho they are for Lowrance and I'm currently using Humminbird. I'd figure that most topics should apply to both.

Any other things out there you guys considering or can recommend?

Jay

Jay, I read Tom Gelb's book and picked up alot from it. IMO I think it was worth it. I also read Lee Snyder's book and enjoyed and learned from it also, it is mostly geared to Lake Marburg, however alot of what I read and learned from both books can be universal or transffered to alot waters where I fish. I would buy both books again.
    The Doctor Sonar DVD sounds interesting I will have to research it thanks.

Bob,

Thats good to hear, I'll definitely pick up the Gelb and Saric book along with Lee Snyder's book. Its always nice to have some reading material to help get through those cold non-fishing months.

You're welcome for the info. about the Doctor Sonar DVD's. It appears that he has some for specific models of sonars. I'm gonna try the general one and see what I can pick up. I'm sure that I'll post some info on this site in the future once I've had a chance to check it out.

Jay

Jay,
    Lee's book is called " Monsters of the Abyss " and I am interested in the Doctor Sonar DVD for sure. I have a job with idle time, sometimes. This is when I get to read, and at least then I have time to read about fishing and learning, next I have to make time to fish !
    Bob

Gelbs book was a pretty good read. Very easy read and easily understood.

Cool, I've heard good things about it. It seems a lot of guys out West are big fans of Gelb, so I figured it should be a good read.

Since the DAM's ( dumb assed Amayans) were wrong...

a nice winter's read about local fare is "Man Against Musky" by Howard Levy. It's all about Chautauqua Lake and some folks mentioned are still in our memories

Last I knew, there was a copy in the Warren Public Library.

I think I have read most (if not all) of this book. If there is some discussion about a guy with the last name of Baldensperger, then we are talking about the same book. A local, relative to the Baldensperger mentioned in the book, gave me his copy to read back in the day.

Some cool stuff in there especially all the row trolling going on there back in the day. The bow lanterns lined up single file while they night trolled around the lake. Pretty cool stuff.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Believe his name was Dewey Baldensperger. He & others helped my late Boss, John Young, learn the ways of leadcore & souping up wooden pikies. John had some dandy fish hanging on the walls of the cottage ( still there), one was 2nd place in comp. by Sports Afield mag. in 1975.