www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: musky stocking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So the state has gone back on their condemnation of LMB? That is good to hear, it always sounded like a stretch to me (especially since I never heard of data to back up claims of predation on walleye fry). The stocking issue is an interesting one. Ty makes a good point that the resources users (fishermen) and the managers may have somewhat different goals (but I wouldn't go so far as to say trophy fish aren't on their mind). A Stevens Point researcher has made some recommendations about changes to the current broodstock program that would help the genetic diversity of stocked fish, reduce artificial selection of reared fish (i.e. domestication), and probably increase the survival of stocked fish. This could also lead to successful reproduction of stocked fish, increasing the recruitment within a lake, and getting closer to a self-sustaining population, although this too raises genetic concerns. One major point is that broodstock fish should not come from a stocked lake. This could lead to inbreeding if a stocked fish is inadvertently used for captive breeding. I don't know the history of stocking on the Chip, but if it was always stocked with fish that were reared from Chip broodstock fish, it is still a good source for broodstock. If this is not the case, said researcher would argue it should be abandoned as a broodstock source. So, Ty is of the opinion that a different genetic strain could lead to more trophy fish. Researchers are justifiably concerned about the source of broodstock fish. Switching strains of fish would meet Ty's goals, but mean that the Chip would probably not be able to be the source of broodstock fish anymore, and this is possibly one of the states biggest arguments. However, it is possible that the Chip isn't a good source of broodstock fish anyway, depending on its stocking history, so a new source should be found and the strain switch is no longer as big of a deal. Not sure if that is useful to anyone or not, but that is what I learned in my 20 min of reading over this lunch break.
    Paul Schueller

You mean you majored in hoops, minored in fishery biology.

It is refreshing to hear an opinion from a local on the lake daily who is also educated in the field. It provides a much more open minded opinion when the local understands the biologists reasoning, even if they disagree with it. And as you state, there are two major hurdles 1) the biologist/public opinion and decisions and 2) long term funding for stocking. Without both, it can't be successful. Sometimes the biologist would like to stock, but no money. Others have the support, but the biologist doesn't deem it necessary. Keep advocating and good luck.

trav

Ty, just curious if you think that MN or great lakes strain muskies will actually grow as fast in the much smaller WI waters? One has to admit that the forage types - and densities in Leech, Mille lacs, Vermillion, St. Clair, and Green Bay are second to none. Dense schools of open water fatty forage make easy meals for toothy critters. Do you think that when these muskies are released into WI waters they will adapt to become much more dormant because there is not the dense open water forage to chase for an easy meal?

Thanks to everyone for responding. Let us know if there's anything any of us can do to help the cause.