www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Ice conditions!!!

Default Ice conditions!!!

Hey Guys!

I know you're anxious to get out on the ice! Some guys are in the back bays setting tip ups for pike and walleye! I've been getting mixed reports from several fishermen coming into the shop. Anywhere from 1" to 3" of ice. If you decide to go please use caution and make sure the ice conditions are safe where you will be fishing. Warm weather and some possible rain coming this weekend, so hopefully it doesnt ruin all the ice!

Be safe, and good luck!
    Shane M.

What do guys use usually for bait when fishing with tip ups for northern and walleye?

supra:

Generally those baits would be shiners, fatheads or sucker minnows. All three will work for walleyes and two most preferred IMHO would be shiners and fatheads. For northerns the first two choices would be shiners and sucker minnows, although you will probably get bit by a northern with a fathead on the hook as well.

Mark

I like to use the largest shiner I can dig out of the minnow tanks, Pike just love em! I also have luck with dead bait such as smelt but they must be preserved to use them legaly.
    Aquatic Arts Fishing Pro Shop
    www.fishtomahawk.com

Thanks guys. We are planning a January trip to Tomahawk for my first ice fishing experience up there. Just trying to get all the tips I can.