www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Harvest of Bass from Warren Area

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Harvest of Bass from Warren Area

Has anyone noticed a huge increase in the number of smallmouth bass being harvested from the dredge pool at Warren? I've made five trips to that area this fall and during each I've noticed numerous Amish individuals catching and keeping stringers of fish. I'm not sure if they are exceeding the 4 fish limit but I can guess that they have been fishing on more days than I've been there. That said, that could amount to a harvest of hundreds of smallmouth from a single pool. This pool has always been a haven for large numbers of bass in the fall and with the stable weather and water levels this year, fishing this area has been easy. I'd guess that this ridiculous harvest rate will have a long term impact on the fishing here for years to come.

ppalko

Doesn't surprise me one bit.....I have nothing nice to say about "them" and their fish keeping.
    I guess report them and hope they get fined....doubt it will matter since they always have plenty of cash on hand to pay a fine with since they don't pay taxes!
    Good luck....confront them, report them, do all you can!

If they get fined enough maybe they will go away. Or maybe only keep the limit.

" THEY " managed to destroy the good deer hunting in Juniata Co. and seldom obeyed the game laws. When confronted one said basically the deer were put here to harvest and feed their families and smiled. I too don't have much good to say about " THEM " Do they buy fishing licenses ?

I seem to see fishing licenses from a distance, however, they tend to move as soon as you are the vicinity. This past Wednesday, a group of 6 spread out on shore and then four split up in two boats. They definitely have a strategy to get as many fish as possible. Stringers are "hidden" on shore and then retrieved when as then run to load up the buggy and leave. And they really do run in a serious hurry. They also will follow you around if you are catching (and releasing!) fish. I can't imagine that the area of the river around Warren will sustain the rate of harvest that this group appears to be accomplishing. It's a complete shame as the bass fishing in the fall is usually a highlight for me. A similar thing happens on Keystone Lake near me. A friend of mine counted fourteen buggy and trailers in the parking lot a few years ago. So far at the dredge it seems to be the same group each time. Maybe the refinery can leak something into the river to make the fish non-edible but not kill them.

I plan to pen a letter to the Fish Commission to at least offer an opinion.

We rolled in there yesterday to make a few musky casts and they quietly vanished. They usually get there at sunrise and put in a full 9-hour shift.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I would guess that given the opportunity these charaters would keep any musky or pike they caught too. From my experience with them they beleive " Meats Meat " I don't know why alot of them think the laws don't apply to them. I fished a Walleye tournement in Grand River, Ohio and three boats of them combined fish and won, the last time I fished that tournement. The boat I was on said they do it all the time !