www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Lund Alaskan Tiller Boats - 1600 vs 1800

Default Lund Alaskan Tiller Boats - 1600 vs 1800

I'm going to buy a new tiller boat for fishing on LOTW. I used a Lund Alaskan 1800 for a week at NW Angle this October, and it handled the big water with no problem. Does anyone have experience with the 1600 Alaskan? Is it big enough to handle the big water when the wind blows? I don't need the extra room for just myself if it's not needed, and the 1600 will be easier to trailer. Thanks.

I have only see one 16 footer, and was somewhat impressed. However on LOTWs, bigger is always better, and if I could afford it, I would do the 18 vs. the 16. The 18' is a proven hull on the lake, and I'll bet has a way better resale value.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

ditto IMO.

Rick;

I've had two 16'ers many years ago (not Lunds). About the only thing I can tell you about 16'ers is that there where many times I wished they where bigger.
    The extra HP that an 18'er can handle is also a big plus. Sometimes it's good to go faster.

I don't know how much differance in price there is, but for one week a year maybe there's a good used 18'er around that would be a good choice.

Doug Johnson

Thanks all for the input. Doug, I'm going to move to the Winnipeg River next summer, so the boat will get lots of use. No used Alaskans for sale that I can ever find up here. I have been looking south of the border, but haven't found any good ones yet. In addition to LOTW, I want to be able to get into the other lakes in the area, so trailering and launching is a bit of an issue. The 1800 is a superb boat - not as good as your big rig but I was safe when the wind blew, like it always does in October. The four stroke idled right down for trolling as well. I got a couple of good ones.