www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Lake Gogebic 10/8 woohooo

Default Lake Gogebic 10/8 woohooo

Holy smokes, what a difference a few weeks will make! Went to my go to weed line around 530 pm. Bobbers down immediately. No smallies today, back to all walleyes and a few pike. Landed 4 fish between 18 and 21 and lost a monster at the boat. Lost a lot of other fish also, have to be real patient and let them take the bait for 30 seconds or longer. Otherwise they just clamp down untilthey see the boat and let go. Frustrating when you can see all those nice eyes escape 2 feet from a net. Fun night though with lots of fish seen and some nice eaters landed. Most of my fish came just as the sun was set. Was wishing I had some lite up bobbers. Sucker minnows and bobbers in 12 fow. Could have had a limit in 25 minutes if we could get those fish hooked. Anybody have any tips to get the hook in the lips of these stubborn fish?

That was the 28th, not the 8th.

circle hooks and Lindy splash brites???

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Benson View Post
    circle hooks and Lindy splash brites???
    Are you using off set hooks?

Quote Originally Posted by johnp View Post
    Are you using off set hooks?
    No, I'm using 2/0 gamakatsu finesse wide gap hooks. Ever since they've been on a big sucker bite we've been missing a lot of fish right at the boat. I have tried several other hook styles but haven't found one I've had great hook ups with. I'm heading out Sunday afternoon/night so hopefully I can get some redemption.

Hi Guys Nice to see some other people on the site networking and talking about their experiences on Lake Gogebic. I my opinion that's what this forum is all about.

My experience on the Lake this Fall (lately) has been good walleye fishing.I had a few days where I was attacked by the Northern Pike too but over all the walleye fishing has been good. Very nice health fish. The one thing I noticed is that when you have wind the fishing is better and the best wind for me in the area that I'm fishing is a wind from the west at 10 mph.+ but less than 20.
    I have been fishing the weed edges in 5-11 FOW with slip bobbers and sucker minnows in that 3 to 4" range. I use Owner SSW with SUPER NEEDLE POINT J hooks. I hook the minnow through the tail and when I have a bobber down I point the rod tip at the location that the bobbers was, reeling in all the slack line until I feel some tension from the fish, and after I feel a slight tap tap from the walleye I give him a nice slow sweeping hooks set with my 8 1/2 foot slip bobber rods that have a soft tip. The rod will almost be bent in half and 95 percent of the time I will have the fish hooked in the corner of his mouth.

Some of the best fishing is yet to come. Dress warm and be safe.
    Thanks for visiting us on Outdoor 911
    Tim Long
    The Timbers Resort &
    Eyes Guy Fishing Guide Service
    P.O. Box 278
    HWY M-28
    Bergland, MI 49910
    Phone: 906-575-3542
    E-mail: thetimbersresort@sbcglobal.net
    Web Site: www.thetimbersresort.com
    Web Site: www.eyes-guy.com

Thanks for those tips, sounds like were pretty much on the same page as far as location. I just ordered 2 8 and a half foot bobber rods. Will have to order up some of those hooks. I went out on sunday and couldn't get away from the pike. Landed 2 nice walleye with hooks I had bent a little myself and only lost one fish that day. West wind at 10 mph was exactly the conditions when it was a heyday ( if we kept em hooked haha). We have been casting the shoreline after dark with crankbaits on the way back to the launch and have been unproductive doing that. Fuel pump went out on the outboard on sunday so that may have been my last trip of the year.

Hey Cdet,
    I love those longer rods for slip bobbering and I think you will too.
    The ones I use I got from Bass Pro.

Tim
    Tim Long
    The Timbers Resort &
    Eyes Guy Fishing Guide Service
    P.O. Box 278
    HWY M-28
    Bergland, MI 49910
    Phone: 906-575-3542
    E-mail: thetimbersresort@sbcglobal.net
    Web Site: www.thetimbersresort.com
    Web Site: www.eyes-guy.com

Fished a smaller lake outside of marenisco today, had limited time and needed to test my motor. Turned into a great day, found a rock bar in the middle of the lake that went from 15 ft to 8 ft. Threw some bobbers and suckers on top of it and landed 5 walleye all 17-18 inches in 2 hours. Lost 3 or 4 others. They were hammering the suckers and there bellies were full of baitfish. The back bays and areas around the islands were iced over. Stopped at the berg land bay launch and it was also full of ice.