www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Esky River Bass: Oct. 2, 2012

Default Esky River Bass: Oct. 2, 2012

I spent the morning in a treestand, bow in hand, watching, calling, and scenting for deer without result. This afternoon I went out on the river wading for bass. In ninety minutes I caught and released six. Five were between 13 and 16 inches, and one dink. In all cases, I was standing in six to ten inches of water and casting into 12 to 18 inches of water. Very shallow. I used Tiny Torpedos, and rattling Chug Bugs in yellow and chartreuse colors. I have been out about once a week all summer, and the bass are still holding in summer spots. I think the deepest spot I fished all year was three feet. About two weeks ago a friend landed and released a thirty-eight inch pike. Other bonus catches have been a few walleyes and some rainbow and brown trout.

A note about these shallows. Often, I cannot even use a #9 Floating Rapala because they will snag since they still dive about a foot. Lures that stay on the surface during the entire retrieve are often necessary.

The bottom line: There are still some great opportunities out there! Good luck.

As a follow-up to my report from earlier today, my wife and I went out again from about 6 pm to 7:30 pm and caught another nine bass including two 17 inch fish. Great fighters, a few jumpers, and lots of great memories. That makes fifteen landed and released today with at least another ten fish that hit but were not hooked. Surface lures still best.

Great report Ray, thanks a bunch! Good luck on the hunting. It's early.
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"