www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: musky lures rods and reels

Default musky lures rods and reels

i forgot to mention, i got some cash coming my way in early october, so i was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere around here that i could look at some muskie rod and reels and lures, the only places i know of is dunns in marion and walmart and dicks, pretty sure they dont have anything for muskie, dicks doesnt even carry their giant shad raps anymore. how much do i need to spend to not get a total piece of crap rod and reel, also any brand or model recommendations???? ive never owned a muskie rod and reel

Default musky rods

Quote Originally Posted by justin sumner View Post
    i forgot to mention, i got some cash coming my way in early october, so i was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere around here that i could look at some muskie rod and reels and lures, the only places i know of is dunns in marion and walmart and dicks, pretty sure they dont have anything for muskie, dicks doesnt even carry their giant shad raps anymore. How much do i need to spend to not get a total piece of crap rod and reel, also any brand or model recommendations???? Ive never owned a muskie rod and reel
    check cabela's in hazelwood mo. At the st. Louis mills mall they have some nice g loomis and st croix rods. They also carry a few musky lures spinners, big crank baits etc. Talk to clay in fishing

G. Loomis and St Croix may be a little steep for a beginners rods but will definitely make you enjoy throwing the big lures more. As far as a reel, you really can't beat a 6500 abu garcia c3 without dropping a couple hundred dollars or more...I really like my Revo but took me a while to talk myself into it.

The main bummer down here as far as I can tell is you can't find a store that caters to musky fisherman( or even knows they exist) without driving a long ways

yeah thanks, ill actually be in st louis in october, ill be doing a zombie run there..... i dont know st louis very well but my girlfriend does, and of course she knows right where that mall is, id like to go to the bass pro shop there too, but idk if they have muskie stuff

yeah so true, ive been putting 40lb braided line on my heavy bass rod, and throwing huge shad raps that dicks used to sell but no longer carry, once and a while the top of the hill bait shop will have a couple muskie lures that i buy, like you said you gotta go a long ways to get equipment... i dont quite understand it especially with what a popular muskie lake kinkaid is. buying lures online or from a magazine is fine and all, but with a rod and reel i like to see and feel them in person.

Default musky rod and kincaid update

Quote Originally Posted by justin sumner View Post
    yeah so true, ive been putting 40lb braided line on my heavy bass rod, and throwing huge shad raps that dicks used to sell but no longer carry, once and a while the top of the hill bait shop will have a couple muskie lures that i buy, like you said you gotta go a long ways to get equipment... I dont quite understand it especially with what a popular muskie lake kinkaid is. Buying lures online or from a magazine is fine and all, but with a rod and reel i like to see and feel them in person.
    cabelas has a tourney trail hvy action rod that wont kill your pocket book around 60 bucks its strong and light made for big salmon and muskys. Some of the salon rods might work also.
    Spent time on kincaid yesterday tough day 7 small bass and a 30 inch musky up in about 3ft of water on a square bill crank bait. Water temps 67 to 68 man kincaid can be a challenge in the fall. And ive been fishing it since 1977

Quote Originally Posted by henral64 View Post
    cabelas has a tourney trail hvy action rod that wont kill your pocket book around 60 bucks its strong and light made for big salmon and muskys. Some of the salon rods might work also.
    Spent time on kincaid yesterday tough day 7 small bass and a 30 inch musky up in about 3ft of water on a square bill crank bait. Water temps 67 to 68 man kincaid can be a challenge in the fall. And ive been fishing it since 1977
    +1 The cabelas tourney trail 8ft hvy was my first musky rod and I absolutely loved it. I just looked em up, on sale for 59.99. A really decent rod for the money. Even if you upgrade this rod will still make an excellent backup