www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Anyone been out fishing?

Default Anyone been out fishing?

The wife and I may be coming up next weekend and I'm wondering if anyone's been out. 95% of my fishing on the Flambeau is from the opener to the 4th of July. I'm hoping for a little fall action.

Rich P

are you walleye and bass fishing or musky or all three?

Probably walleye and bass. We do like to go for the panfish but I think they'll be a little sketchy this time of year.

Muskies next week.
    Andrew

Default Musky Fishing???

Hi AndrewR,

I used to musky fish. Have a couple of Musky rods and a solid selection of lures. In fact I used to fish the Eagle River Chain tournament from the Hiawatha Resort in September for several years.

Then I had an epiphany. I could stand next to a wall and slam my shoulder and wrist into the wall for 30 minutes and it hurt like hell the next morning. The pain was the same as if I had casted a large lure with a stiff rod for 8 hours the day before. I was able to accomplish this in only 30 minutes.

Think of the time I saved and I had the same amount of fish in the freezer -- zero!

The bright side is that the more guys that musky fish means less walleyes and bass being caught - more for the rest of us.

I'm pretty sure Tylenol is on sale at Sam's Club.

Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    Hi AndrewR,

I used to musky fish. Have a couple of Musky rods and a solid selection of lures. In fact I used to fish the Eagle River Chain tournament from the Hiawatha Resort in September for several years.

Then I had an epiphany. I could stand next to a wall and slam my shoulder and wrist into the wall for 30 minutes and it hurt like hell the next morning. The pain was the same as if I had casted a large lure with a stiff rod for 8 hours the day before. I was able to accomplish this in only 30 minutes.

Think of the time I saved and I had the same amount of fish in the freezer -- zero!

The bright side is that the more guys that musky fish means less walleyes and bass being caught - more for the rest of us.

I'm pretty sure Tylenol is on sale at Sam's Club.
    haha, luckily I'm at the moderately young age of almost 26yrs old, so casting aimlessly for hours at a time is routine.

However, you should consider getting back into the game again. The rod and reel technology of today is unbelievably lightweight and comfortable in comparison to yesterday's. Same goes for better musky fisheries.

Right now with this megafront of cold, my window of bass fishing for the year is done I think. But I might be wrong if it shows 60's and sun next week. But we'll see.
    Andrew

Largies were in the weeds to tonight as were the mooskies!!! Had a great attempt to feed by a decent fish, then caught an 18" largie on a topraider... i wanted to go back on that fish with a creeper or hawgwabbler, but the impending storms forced us off just a bit too early for that.

Mark

Hello Don H. ........... I know exactly what you mean. I always carry at least two rods with me at all times. Throwing Suicks and top waters are easy. Two years ago I bought a large Dawg sucker and tried to cast that monster, but after 20 minutes or so I gave up. Very hard on the wrists and hands. At age 60 I still can do 25 pull-ups and 100 push-ups, but time has caught up to me regarding the retrieve of those bucktail style lures with the big spinner blades. So.......... I stick with stick baits and top water lures. Simply put, I play the body of water I fish. By playing, I mean switch off between Light and heavy tackle. I didn't get the name "frog caster" for nothing. When my bones ache from casting for Musk's, I'll head over to the slop and lilly pads and cast for Largies or what ever else I can entice. Once rested, back to the 8 ft. st. Croix and Toro winch, for another hour or two, then repeat the process. Next thing ya know the wife is calling me on her cell ........ "get off that lake and start paying attention to me" ........... well that ends another (peaceful) morning !!!! ....... Kind Regards, The Old Frog Caster. Larry F.

Default Was Just Up There

25 pull ups and 100 push ups....that's it? I can do 150 push ups and I'm 65 years old. I did 12 in January, 14in February, 11 in March........you're talking per year right?

Anyway, our group was up there last week (22nd thru the 25th). You must remember last week. A new cold front came through every other day it seemed like. I kept tapping the outside thermometer at it appeared to be stuck at 40°. There was a musky tournament in Green Bay and the Upper Fox River that same weekend. 38 boats, 76 fishermen - no fish. 4 of those tournaments a year over the last 14 years (56 tournaments) and that was the first skunking! Yeah it was tough on the TFF too. Our largest fish was a 19" caught by me. One of the guys got skunked over 4 days of fishing. Rain suits on for every trip either due to the rain or motoring through the wind, or just to keep warm. We did catch quite a few smallies and some beauties, but the walleye fishing was tough. If we had brought anyone up for the first time, this would also have been their last trip. No sane person would go through that and come back unless he had been there before and actually seen the TFF produce under better weather conditions.

We tried everything we could think of. Many of the fish we did catch fell off in the net. The bites that happened were light. I bet by thursday or Friday that place was nuts. These fish were off their feed so long, when it turned on it had to be awesome.

My son-in-law works at a quarry and is the explosive expert there. Instead of 1/16, 1/8, or 1/4 oz jigs, next year I'm bringing up 1/16, 1/8, or 1/4 sticks of dynamite! I'll need a new tackle box!

Well at least someone is catching fish. Below is a link to a new State of Michigan record musky recently caught in an inland lake near Traverse City, Michigan.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...d.php?t=439299

Species: Great Lakes Muskellunge. Weight: 58.00 lbs. Length: 59 inches. Caught in Lake Bellaire, Antrim County on October 13, 2012 @ 10:30am. Method: Still-fishing with a minnow. Angler: Joseph Seeberger of Portage Mich. Verified by: Patrick Hanchin, Charlevoix Research Station