www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Rod advice

Default Rod advice

I have a St Croix Premier 8 foot medium-heavy rod that I have been very happy with. I am considering getting a heavy action rod for use with heavier baits. St Croix has an 8 foot and 8'6" rod available in heavy action in the Premier series. I am leaning towards the 8"6" version but wanted to hear what other people would recommend. Is there any disadvantage to a longer rod? Thanks!

The heavy action will give you more back bone for a hook set, but you might want to consider the lures you will be primarily using before buying it. What are you going to use it for? Bucktails, topwaters, jerkbaits? From my experience, I like a little more bend in the tip because I feel it casts the bait out farther, and easier. Especially when I'm throwing a larger bucktail, otherwise it feels like I'm using a pool cue. Everyone has their own preference though. As far as length, I like how easy it is to perform a figure 8 with the longer rod, as well as fighting a fish and controling it around the boat. My favorites are in the 7-3 to 8-0 range. You can't go wrong with St. Croix.

I use a 9 foot rod for everything I throw. It's a heavy action Predator blank(St.Croix). It feels more like a medium heavy action premier blank though. I even use it for Mag Dawgs with no issues. I have several other 8'6" rods from St.Croix that I really like for clients because they cast every bait I have in the boat really well. I'll tell you this, once you get a longer rod you'll never use the shorter ones again. That's how much you will like the 8'6" or longer rods. I wouldn't get any action too heavy. The medium heavy is perfect in the premier 8'6". Even better, go to Thorne Brothers and get a custom one with a little longer handle. It ballances out the rod so it is a lot lighter feel. Also you can whip cast way better with a longer handle. You can get an extra ten feet on your cast easily with a longer handle. Most of the handles I get are between 16 and 18 inches long. Lonnie has my specs there at Thornes if you want to use them. Good luck,
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Ty,
    Thanks for the info. I don't see an 8'6" premier MH listed on the St. Croix website. I already have the 8' premier MH. Do you think the 8'6" premier heavy action is too stiff? Thanks again.

The 8'6" heavy is a nice Bulldawg rod. It's a little stiff for Ghosttails and light baits though.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com