www.lakegenevacannery.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fall trolling trip

Default Temps?

Heading up your way Friday, will be on the lake Saturday. What are the water temps looking like lately?

Bob

Who is this???? We have no openings this week.
    Probably dropping like crazy today with the weather, but 46 around here, and 48 up north yesterday.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

Sweet! So it's still speedo weather. Now, which one pack...camo or blaze orange?

With your crack, blaze orange is camo.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

What a great week!

It was good to meet some of the other fall die-hards in camp, a few of whom were die-harder than us even. Casting? When you could be sitting down? Weird.

Between me and Saint we managed 12 fish with his 46" our biggest release. Between a few days with Doug a couple years ago, a couple days with Frank this week, and the balance of this trip on our own, we got a good education on trolling the Woods...and managed only one ding in the skeg.
    And just ask Frank...my "fish calling" mojo still works, using either one of the point-at-the-rod or pee-off-the-boat techniques.

some pics...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake of the Woods Trolling 014 (800x493).jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	18460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake of the Woods Trolling 030 (800x571).jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	18461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake of the Woods Trolling 036 (800x449).jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	18462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake of the Woods Trolling October 005 (800x688).jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	18463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake of the Woods Trolling October 004 (573x800).jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	18464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake of the Woods Trolling October 007 (800x199).jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	18465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	October Save Phace 007 (800x454).jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	18466

Very nice pics.Especially liked the last one,plastic surgury sure can do wonders nowadays.

Timing is everythig. Fish have really turned on. Some guy we won't mention went out on Saturday at noon, and got seven. Jeff's friend Tom got a super fat 47". And quite a few, and I mean quite a few between 45"-50" between Saturday and Sunday for everyone else. Not a skunk ( a Ruhmannism) in the place. Not a one in Pearson's place I might add. Me.... I had to make an unscheduled trip to town yesterday.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Walsh View Post
    Timing is everythig. Fish have really turned on. Some guy we won't mention went out on Saturday at noon, and got seven. Jeff's friend Tom got a super fat 47". And quite a few, and I mean quite a few between 45"-50" between Saturday and Sunday for everyone else. Not a skunk ( a Ruhmannism) in the place. Not a one in Pearson's place I might add. Me.... I had to make an unscheduled trip to town yesterday.

Nice to hear the fish are moving and Tom and Duane are getting into some. Tell them to throw a photo or two up for us! Is Tom kickin Duane's butt again this year?!!!

Jeff

They got 5 yesterday up to 49". Only one today.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

I'm finally getting to my late trip report. Big Thanks to Frank and Laura for another great trip. Overall the weather was great for casting as that's what we spent the entire time doing. We ended up with 10 fish over 4.5 days, and unfortunately the biggest we managed to put it in the net was only 45". My experience with the 12" DDD's was very similar to what Darren described. Put a lot of time with them in the water with only a follow or two for results. At the same time several fish were caught on the regular sized DD's. Actually, I should say that throwing the 12"ers as DDD's was as difficult as I'd expected and they were very easy to over-work. Meaning if you over twitched them they'd roll over too far and often porpoise out of the water. After a day and a half of them kicking my butt and the issues with over-working them I decided to cut the lips down and make them DD's. I was very happy with the results. Much easier to twitch and the action was great. I really couldn't understand why they weren't getting more attention. I'm sure they're fish catchers, but I'll have to wait until next season to prove it.

Good luck to those who still have fishing days ahead of them.

Ryan

All in all you had a pretty good season Ryan.

Here are Duane's and Tom's fish.............

Name:	duane2photo.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	18483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duanetomphoto.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	18484
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Walsh View Post
    All in all you had a pretty good season Ryan.

Here are Duane's and Tom's fish.............

Name:	duane2photo.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	18483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duanetomphoto.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	18484
    Very nice. Couldn't happen to better guys. Hopefully, the bite keeps going for all of you.

Thanks for the reports.

Just returned last night from another excursion from LOTW. This time we fished with Frank for 4 days of trolling up Muskies and Matt totaled 8, with the biggest being 49", and I only managed 4 Muskies with the biggest being in the low 40's. Frank did not get a Muskie but had fun catching a couple of Walleye. I really got my but kicked this time for Muskies but did manage to get $5.00 from a bet with Matt. Numerous Pike were caught but only one was measured at 38", Matts, because Frank would not bring mine on board to measure them. Something about the smell. Matt and I did get about 2.5 days in of Walleye fishing where I did manage to save face with a 29.5". Time was spent with Minnows both using Jigs and Spinners. The weather was more than we ever had during all the trips I have made. Cold, Wind, Rain, Snow, Sleet, Sun, Fog and lastly Thunder/Lightning. It was bad enough to put the Ranger to dock and wait out the storm. It lasted totally for over 2 hours. Totally wierd. We had to return to Omaha and wait for a few months until we return for ice fishing in January.

Thanks to Laura and Frank for another week to remember. I think that we have another Muskie Fisherman to carry on the tradition.

Dick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12