www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: The end of a brutal summer, well almost!

Default The end of a brutal summer, well almost!

Its been a tough summer for all from what I have been reading on the site! I fished the river quite a bit this year
    And boated a very impressive 10 lb walleye on a jerk bait and recently lost a pig of fish on Monday. I have talked to many folks in the tionesta area that are die hard small mouth fisherman and they said the same " worst summer ever"

I think we needed a significant rise in river levels to give it a good flush!

Looking forward to the winter months to hunt the big boys, just hoping it does not turn out to be the worst winter ever!

The weed growth in the river is unbelievable , almost looks like a giant carpet! Covering many areas, and mainly the channels that I run leaving me to unclog the intake very frequently.

What's everyone else think about this summer?

Tons of new weed growth, tons of new food items, clear skies and clear water.....not the recipe for a hot bite during a hot/dry summer.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Mine sucked. This is my fourth year of musky fishing and the months of June, July, August are the only months I've never caught one. Partly because I don't have much time to fish the summer, but I get out enough. Ten trips over those 3 months without one in the boat. I moved above average numbers of fish in that 3 month span, but really had trouble converting follows to strikes and strikes to landed fish.

The Yough still does not have weeds so that is not to blame. I like to blame the massive balls of baitfish, schools of suckers roaming the river and all those rec boaters.... ANYTHING but the Angler!!

Bring on Fall please.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Childress View Post
    Tons of new weed growth, tons of new food items, clear skies and clear water.....not the recipe for a hot bite during a hot/dry summer.
    I fished the river at Tidioute from shore during moonset Friday, Saturday and Sunday utilized all sorts of lures, downsized to a Rapala J-13 and thought I latched onto something big ( Using a spinning combo. ) after about 15 minutes I landed a very large Snapping Turtle after dark what a time getting those hooks out of it, however a successful release ! No other bites. : (

Agree 100% with Red on his observations. I quit chasing trout on the river in June when it got too hot and my local musky trips resulted in 2 huge largemouths, some dink musky and a few follows. Much better last summer. I never planned so many trips on sunny hot days as I did this year. Fall and cool temps will be a welcome change.