Well here we are at the end of August already. Mother nature does not know if it is fall or summer. Lows in the upper 40's for a few days. Now back in the 100's for some of this week. South Dakota weather, you have to prepare for anything.

Fishing is still excellent. We are catching between 35 and 70 plus fish the last couple of weeks. With most fish from 15 to 19 inches, with an occasional fish over 20. Also the smallmouth bite is picking up a little each week. We look forward to an excellent and busy fall.

Report will start from Aug 17. Aug 17th, I assisted with a CO-OP group from Westside, IA. Excellent fishing. We caught between 30 and 35 fish by noon. We had 4 boats in the group, caught between 150 and 175 fish.

I felt young and played in state slow pitch tournament in Rapid City, SD on the 18th and 19th.

Aug 20th I had a family out from Nickerson, NE. We caught a limit of walleyes and 11 smallies. Overall we caught 45 fish. Started a little slow, but with some teamwork, we figured out the walleye bite. Been with Larry since 1989. Always enjoy taking this group out.

Aug 21 and 22nd I had a group out from Owatanna, MN. 2 outstanding fishing days. We caught around 90 fish in 2 days with a nice stringer of walleyes and also a bonus possession limit of smallies.

Aug 23rd off.

Aug 24 and 25th I helped a group of 4 boats from Aspinwall, IA. Excellent fishing again. caught a total of 80 fish out of my boat in 2 days with a possession limit of smallies. A very nice stringer of walleyes also. All boats with limits by 11:00 a.m.

Still the rule is that are fish are getting bigger as fall approaches. We would like to see some cooler weather, I am sure that will come soon enough.

Reports could get a little more strung out with my bowling season approaching (for those that do not know, I will also be running a bowling center and guiding for 3 months). Looks like we are going to have a very busy Sept. It has been the busiest summer on record. Very happy and successful customers. Guide Service is just short of 100% fill rate. You do not get that everywhere. We have the best guides on the river. With our expertise and teamwork, we will make your fishing trip very fun and will build lasting memories.

Check out our photos on our web page www.allenshillside.com or on facebook.

Until next time
Mike Allen
Check out our