www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: how was your summer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Things started out good then I got sick on July 8th. I had a high fever and it went away after 4 days, but I continued to have a low grade fever and extreme stabbing head ache for several weeks. Then all of the sudden my legs stiffened up and I couldn't walk. I went to the emergency room and after 2 lumbar punctures(spinal taps) and 20 other tests I was nearly completely paralyzed. It turned out that the fever beginning July 8th was Lyme disease from a tick we never found. I had to relearn to walk and I still can't run or walk too much. Man, look out for ticks. My doctor said its like an epidemic in Butler county this year. The mild winter last year has caused this. Today is the my last day of IV antibiotics from a Pick Line installed in my arm 21 days ago when I was discharged from my 7 day hospital stay. Wow, I never knew how severe Lyme can be if not treated quickly. Lesson learned; check yourself for ticks after being in the woods. It takes a tick 24 hours for a tick to transmit Lyme, so get them quick and you'll be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Pescatore View Post
    Things started out good then I got sick on July 8th. I had a high fever and it went away after 4 days, but I continued to have a low grade fever and extreme stabbing head ache for several weeks. Then all of the sudden my legs stiffened up and I couldn't walk. I went to the emergency room and after 2 lumbar punctures(spinal taps) and 20 other tests I was nearly completely paralyzed. It turned out that the fever beginning July 8th was Lyme disease from a tick we never found. I had to relearn to walk and I still can't run or walk too much. Man, look out for ticks. My doctor said its like an epidemic in Butler county this year. The mild winter last year has caused this. Today is the my last day of IV antibiotics from a Pick Line installed in my arm 21 days ago when I was discharged from my 7 day hospital stay. Wow, I never knew how severe Lyme can be if not treated quickly. Lesson learned; check yourself for ticks after being in the woods. It takes a tick 24 hours for a tick to transmit Lyme, so get them quick and you'll be OK.
    Thats crazy stuff. I am just now getting over it also, my smptoms started July 12th. I did catch mine much quicker, as I noticed the rash on my back about a week after the fever (about the same deal as you, high fever that went away then low grade with a headache). My son had Lyme disease last spring. Neither one of us saw a tick or even knew we were bitten. Guys, just so you all know, more than 1/2 of lyme disease victims never knew they were bitten or saw a tick on them. If you get symptoms like me or Pescatore (my son had identical symptoms to both of us), go to the doctor and INSIST on an anti biotic regimen for Lyme disease. Even if they are reluctant or your blood test comes back negative at first, get the medicine and take it. Usually if symptoms get as bad as Pescatores, the joint damage is usually pemanent. A friend of mine from high school is in a wheelchair at 44 because of Lyme disease.

I thought not catching fish this summer was horrible, But thanks to Pescatore for putting things into proper perspective. Good Luck James and Pescatore! My niece has this also, she has good days and bad days. Point is not catching fish is not the worst thing that can happen to us!

Got my boy his first ever musky so for us it was a summer to remember.

Mike

It was a tough one for my boat. I think there was waaaaaay too much food and super sunny 99 percent of the time with the other 1 percent being tornadoes/severe storms. The only savior was putting 7-8 guys on their first muskies. I don't think we saw a fish larger than 45-ish until my last trip on 8/21.

I hope I never have to grind out another summer like this one again. Ugh.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com