www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: What the What?

Default What the What?

I'm half way back to Texas with the boat in tow and I forgot to share this weird story. I was fishing a 4 foot deep patch of river lilly pads and had just released a nice 38" Musky, with 15 minutes to fish before needing to get back to the cabin. I stayed with the 8" thumper tail jig I had been using when about 10 feet from the boat all hell broke loose. The surface of the water was frothed for what seemed like a minute - with my only clue being a whitish hue from the fish, then it made a long run away from the boat, causing me to loosen the drag in fear of losing the fish. At this point, I was guessing a giant tiger....got to be 50". This fish made numerous long runs and probably 2 minutes into the fight I got my first look.

Any guesses?

Picture is attached.....over 30 inches and over 35 pounds (my estimates).

Texas Dan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	17843  

catfish for sure... thinking channel, but looks like a flat...

Mark

My guess is a blue catchfish. I think channel catfish have a forked tail and I think a flathead is more brown in color.

Default What the What Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Dan View Post
    I'm half way back to Texas with the boat in tow and I forgot to share this weird story. I was fishing a 4 foot deep patch of river lilly pads and had just released a nice 38" Musky, with 15 minutes to fish before needing to get back to the cabin. I stayed with the 8" thumper tail jig I had been using when about 10 feet from the boat all hell broke loose. The surface of the water was frothed for what seemed like a minute - with my only clue being a whitish hue from the fish, then it made a long run away from the boat, causing me to loosen the drag in fear of losing the fish. At this point, I was guessing a giant tiger....got to be 50". This fish made numerous long runs and probably 2 minutes into the fight I got my first look.

Any guesses?

Picture is attached.....over 30 inches and over 35 pounds (my estimates).

Texas Dan.
    For sure a channel catfish. we are too far North for Blue Cats and a flat head is brown ion color. Many Channel catfish get a blueish hue when spawning or when they get large as this one is. Great Fish, Congrats