www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: This summer

Default This summer

Hello all, how's your summer been? My name is Chris and live in ironwood. I've been fishing Gogebic 2-3 times a week since walleye opener. We started off not so hot as I had only fished this lake 2 times prior. I think we made 3 trips and got a few pike to show for it. Then like the snap of a finger we kind of figured it out a little, slip bobbers with leeches/worms and jig and minnow, we did very well a few different locations but everything was consitant, 10 foot weeds. As the summer progressed we only had about a week of slow fishing then it picked right back up. Many days with limits of nice eaters before 9 am then it was perch hunting for the rest of the day. The past few weeks have been on fire for us, same spots same pattern same quality fish. Lots of 16-19in fish with lots of 10-14 as well. Some days we can't bait hooks fast enough, it was great. The past trip(8/15) was a different story. Slowest day we've had since late spring. Our go to pattern is changing now, we put in 5 hours on the water yesterday and got one keeper eye and 2 throwbacks. Maybe 8 hits all day. The fish we did get had minnows galore in his belly so w will be switching back to jig and minnow. We have found all of our fish in the shallow weeds regardless of air and water temp this summer, it was 95 degrees an we were still limiting out in 9 fow. How is everyone else doing this summer? I noticed the board had been empty for months. I plan on taking a trip with Tim this late summer/early fall to work on my trolling game. We have put in 15 hours of trolling with not a hookup to show for it. We have all the gear were just doing something wrong. Enjoy your summer, Chris.

Hi Chris, It is nice to see you on Outdoors 911 Lake Gogebic Forum. As you mention that you have not seen any activity on this board. I have backed off on posting here because I felt that I am the only person posting. When ever anyone else would post I would reply. I would like to this site become a little more interactive than it has in the past.

With that being said, this year of fishing has been very good for me as well. The walleyes that we have been catching this year have been really nice with a majority of them being 16 - 19" with some really nice weight on them. On windy days I have caught walleyes in 2' of water and have been putting fish in the boat trolling in 22' of water.

The last few weeks the perch fishing has been going pretty well finding them in 7-10' of water using a slip boober using bare hook or small jig with a chunk of night crawler or a small leech.

Using this board as a networking system we might be able to help each other out. (Everyone) you don't have to give out your GPS coordinates but sharing some general information can help everyone catch a few fish maybe something new from what your use to doing. It is very fun to go out and try fishing a new technique that you have not used before and figuring out how to catch fish in a new way.

Let's keep the posts coming in.
    Have fun on the water and be safe.

Thanks to everyone that visits this site.

Have a great day,

Tim Long
    Tim Long
    The Timbers Resort &
    Eyes Guy Fishing Guide Service
    P.O. Box 278
    HWY M-28
    Bergland, MI 49910
    Phone: 906-575-3542
    E-mail: thetimbersresort@sbcglobal.net
    Web Site: www.thetimbersresort.com
    Web Site: www.eyes-guy.com

I know how you feel, I post a lot on other forums and get 300 views on a report with no feedback. The lake is very large, gps coords don't need to be shared but productive areas can be. Slip bobbers and leeches/crawlers with a small jighead have been our choice for a few months now and only several days ago we started seeing big baitfish and tons of smaller minnows in the bellies of fish. The more productive areas we have experienced has been in front of the walleye lodge in 10 fow. Just fishing the weeds and edges of weeds. We have not got 1 throwback there, all fish between 16-19 and very chunky, some 19" fish have some shoulders too. We have recently found another great spot on the east shore that has a very high catch rate but lots of smallies and cigars mixed in. Hey Tim do you do fall trips on Gogebic or just do green bay in the fall? Thanks, Chris.